Shaking Head

mckaylaburgess

Chirping
Jul 7, 2020
I have one of my girls just go through a molt. She’s got most of her feathers back, but I think she’s still got a few patches coming in. She’s active and eats well, but today I noticed her comb was kind of pale. She’s shaking her head every couple minutes too, like she’s trying to get something off of her or something is tickling her. Should I give her something? I don’t see any signs of mites or anything like that.

My girls usually have gradually more pale combs when not laying eggs due to molting and growing in their feathers. Then their combs brighten up when they start to lay again.

You're sure she's eating and drinking enough? Does she seem congested at all?

My girls usually have gradually more pale combs when not laying eggs due to molting and growing in their feathers. Then their combs brighten up when they start to lay again.

You're sure she's eating and drinking enough? Does she seem congested at all?
I believe she is eating and drinking enough. I need to watch closer, but she was eating when I was in the coop this evening. What are signs of congestion in chickens? I’m not sure what to look for.

I've only had 2 instances where chickens did a head shake. One had a neurological problem. But that could possibly happen if her electrolytes were off just like with people. The other hen a swollen eye and a little bit of a runny nose and some mouth, well open beak breathing just like a person with sinus congestion. I took her to the vet and she put her on an antibiotic and some eye ointment. It cleared up.

I don't know if they could get anything in their ears, like dirt from a dust bath.

Do you have any VET RX? It couldn't hurt to put a little around her nostrils if you have it.

There could be other reasons that I'm not aware of.

I've only had 2 instances where chickens did a head shake. One had a neurological problem. But that could possibly happen if her electrolytes were off just like with people. The other hen a swollen eye and a little bit of a runny nose and some mouth, well open beak breathing just like a person with sinus congestion. I took her to the vet and she put her on an antibiotic and some eye ointment. It cleared up.

I don't know if they could get anything in their ears, like dirt from a dust bath.

Do you have any VET RX? It couldn't hurt to put a little around her nostrils if you have it.

There could be other reasons that I'm not aware of.
I’ve not noticed any differences in breathing or nasal discharge. Fingers crossed she just needs some electrolytes

Before you panic, understand that molting is painful and itchy. I currently have a chicken in isolation from a comb injury; her legs are hobbled together so she can’t scratch it and she keeps shaking her head because it’s itchy where her comb is healing. It sounds more to me like itchy, dry molting skin.

ChicNmom may be right. Head shaking, in waterfowl at least, can be a sign of trying to shake out mucus from an infection.
I took a good look at her this morning and stayed in the coop while they were eating. She’s eating great, if not more than some of the others. She’s still very active, just the occasional head shake.

Back
Top Bottom