`Share your stories! Chicken Chat!

DaisyBuff

Crowing
Oct 15, 2020
Georgia
Do you have any exciting stories to share about your birds/flock? If so, don't hesitate to tell me all about them! They could be funny, sad, egg-citing! I am looking forward to hearing you stories!🐤🐓🦆

Do you have any exciting stories to share about your birds/flock? If so, don't hesitate to tell me all about them! They could be funny, sad, egg-citing! I am looking forward to hearing you stories!🐤🐓🦆
Well I guess I will be first. LOL
So, I incubated 4 eggs and only one hatched in July 23, 2020. I was so sure and wanting it to be a HEN, since I really wanted her to lay eggs later. I was so wishing that I dressed her up so pretty for a Halloween outfit. So for the first 10 weeks of life I called her pretty girl and named her Bella. At 11 weeks old, it started crowing. :lau :lau :lau
So, of course I felt so bad, I have been confusing the poor soul into thinking HE was a Hen.
His name has now been changed to Hei Hei.
I tossed out the dress and decided to make him some pants.
So now he is the one that wears the pants in my house.

Attachments

• 20200927_155800.jpg
    20200927_155800.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200927_155620.jpg
    20200927_155620.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20201031_185702.jpg
    20201031_185702.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 2
Bit of a random one- We have 13 chooks in our flock (12 pullets 1 cockeral)- We also have 2 ducks, but only our Drake is ever out as his "Wife" is brooding her clutch-

Anywho, we have never free-ranged them as a mixed flock, and when I did (by accident when adding our 2 Isa girls to our flock) I came running out to Nugget screaming and a flapping drake chasing her across the yard until she was hidden under a ride-on mower.

I went to assist, putting her back safe with our other girls, and raved to my partner we had a "killer duck" out to ruin the chickens..... Needless to say, a few days later we tried again and he insisted on sitting on everyone (our ladies give him a good clearance of 1-2 meters now) because his lady put him on hold 😂

Poor guy was getting a bit desperate- but hes accepted his place and just protects his "flock" of ladies even though he cant do the dirty deeds when they are let out.

The only chickens who spend any time "close" to him are our 11wk olds (5pullets 1 cockeral) as I guess he is their father figure and always wags at them

Well I guess I will be first. LOL
So, I incubated 4 eggs and only one hatched in July 23, 2020. I was so sure and wanting it to be a HEN, since I really wanted her to lay eggs later. I was so wishing that I dressed her up so pretty for a Halloween outfit. So for the first 10 weeks of life I called her pretty girl and named her Bella. At 11 weeks old, it started crowing. :lau :lau :lau
So, of course I felt so bad, I have been confusing the poor soul into thinking HE was a Hen.
His name has now been changed to Hei Hei.
I tossed out the dress and decided to make him some pants.
So now he is the one that wears the pants in my house.
Aww.... That is so cute! Hei Hei is very pretty!

Bit of a random one- We have 13 chooks in our flock (12 pullets 1 cockeral)- We also have 2 ducks, but only our Drake is ever out as his "Wife" is brooding her clutch-

Anywho, we have never free-ranged them as a mixed flock, and when I did (by accident when adding our 2 Isa girls to our flock) I came running out to Nugget screaming and a flapping drake chasing her across the yard until she was hidden under a ride-on mower.

I went to assist, putting her back safe with our other girls, and raved to my partner we had a "killer duck" out to ruin the chickens..... Needless to say, a few days later we tried again and he insisted on sitting on everyone (our ladies give him a good clearance of 1-2 meters now) because his lady put him on hold 😂

Poor guy was getting a bit desperate- but hes accepted his place and just protects his "flock" of ladies even though he cant do the dirty deeds when they are let out.

The only chickens who spend any time "close" to him are our 11wk olds (5pullets 1 cockeral) as I guess he is their father figure and always wags at them
Amazing story!

Well, I guess It's my turn! Okay, so I have 5 Rhode Island Red Hens, 8 months old! And I have a super fluffy super friendly and sweet Buff Orpington named Daisy 11 months. ( That is not her on my profile pic, but she looks egg-zactly like her!) I had one buff Orpington named buttercup. Sadly she died around 7 months old:hit But now I have my 6 Chickies and 1 pet Golden Coturnix quail named Alice. This is a story about Alice the quail that saved Daisy's life.This is a true story. A few days after I brought 2 buff Orpington chicks home, I went out to the shed where the brooder was, I was shocked at what I saw! Buttercup was pecking on daisy! She was huddled up in the corner with a lot of her fluff missing. Around the course of a few minutes daisy tried to stand up but she could not walk! That's when Buttercup went to pecking on her again. On account of Buttercup's mean behavior, I carefully scooped up the sick weak Daisy in my cupped hands and quickly got her in to a smaller brooder by herself I turned the heat lamp on, put fresh bedding down and she had food and water. She still could not stand or walk, there was mucus like stuff coming from her tiny beak. She was extremely sick I did not know if she would make it. She barely opened her eyes. That's when an idea went off! I had just bought a baby quail a few days before I got the Orpingtons! I still haven't named her yet then but I went and got Alice my baby quail and put her in the brooder with Daisy. It was friendship at first sight! Alice ran right to Daisy and and Daisy opened her eyes they lay right beside each other cuddled up napping they looked so cute together! I went back inside the house for about an hour then went back out to the shed to check on Buttercup, Daisy, and Alice. It was Incredible! Daisy was walking around peeping like normal playing with Alice It was a miracle recovery! I had no idea what Alice did but that little quail chick and Daisy were best friends! On account of the occasion I decided to name the baby quail Alice, and even now almost a year later every afternoon I let daisy in Alice's big pen to play with each other, and they are still best friends! My little DaisyBuff and Alice Best friends till the end! And that my friends Is the unbelivible-yet true story of Daisy and Alice! BTW this is a picture of one of my Rhode Island Red Hens Spice.
IMG_20201111_112146.jpg

Last edited:
We were insulating our coop, and adding extra tarps on Friday night, and it was getting dark. The chickens decided that while we were renovating, they would sleep on top of the coop. All 3. At the same time it was being moved. Well, we were putting up a curtain, and putting on extra tarps, and then we had to take them off the coop, *Flap, Flap* Repeat process. Then finally 2 of them got the message, and stayed down. Panda, stubborn crazy chicken that she is, flapped up, as it was being lifted 7 feet in the air, Flapped to the highest point, and froze. We had to bring her down, and then I had to be a roost so we could move the coop. A few days before that I had to be a roost as well, because our fattest hen broke the roost, and Panda got so frantic about finding a roost, flapped into a tree, got tangled, and flapped, and wriggled till I got her down. How's that for crazy?

We were insulating our coop, and adding extra tarps on Friday night, and it was getting dark. The chickens decided that while we were renovating, they would sleep on top of the coop. All 3. At the same time it was being moved. Well, we were putting up a curtain, and putting on extra tarps, and then we had to take them off the coop, *Flap, Flap* Repeat process. Then finally 2 of them got the message, and stayed down. Panda, stubborn crazy chicken that she is, flapped up, as it was being lifted 7 feet in the air, Flapped to the highest point, and froze. We had to bring her down, and then I had to be a roost so we could move the coop. A few days before that I had to be a roost as well, because our fattest hen broke the roost, and Panda got so frantic about finding a roost, flapped into a tree, got tangled, and flapped, and wriggled till I got her down. How's that for crazy?
Woah That's crazy! Panda does not like broken roosts!

Back
Top Bottom