She got stuck!

Levinechicks

Chirping
Came back from a weekend trip and my housesitter mentioned one of my chickens got stuck in a part of the run and was pecked at. Seems like she was stuck for up to 4 hours (wasn’t stuck when they went up there in the morning but was around lunch time). I gave her a nice warm bath in dead sea salt (I’m out of epsom) and put neosporin on a couple areas on her feet that were red. I also put no pick on the picked areas.

I put her pack in the coop tonight - I don’t have a safe space for her overnight but thinking of putting her in the house tomorrow (when I can lock my dogs outside). She looks bruised and pecked but ate and was drinking water normally.

Should I bring her in tomorrow or leave her with the flock? I’m going to close off the area she got stuck in tomorrow as well but would love some feedback. She is the only one of my girls that has gone broody - so she hasn’t been laying at all in the last month or so, so i’m not sure what else to check for.

I did go and check on her earlier and she was laying in a nesting box. Thoughts? Thanks! I’ll get pictures tomorrow!

I am no expert but I seem to be one of the first to see your query. If she has no obviously red or raw spots, she should be okay in the general population. But the other birds will peck at anything red or scabs, even on her comb, so watch for that.

I'm sorry this happened to her. Hope she's well soon!

Thank you! I covered the redness with the no pick purple liquid. I should have mentioned that we do have a pecking problem (I have no rooster), so I have been playing rooster. Just doesn’t help when we’re out of town most weekends - even a day without me being their run gets them all pecking at each other. We increased the size of their run about 6 months ago to see if that helps, and that’s where this one got stuck. Will separate her again this morning, and hopefully we can get her integrated again quickly. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom