She won’t come out!

Jun 29, 2023
I have a heh who is just over a year old and she rarely comes out of the coop. She is VERY broody and hisses when ever you go beat her, but the funny thing is she never has any eggs under her! When she does come out of the coop she flaps her wings and screaming bloody murder like a hawk or other predator is trying to take her. She rips feathers from other chickens and is very aggressive. I have noticed she has gained a lot of weight, at first I thought it was just her feathers but there is a huge bird under them! What’s up with her and if so, what can I do to help her? Is this normal? Or is something wrong? Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_8702.jpeg
    IMG_8702.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 11
What's her diet?
You need to invest in a broody breaker cage, a dog kennel with just a roost.
Can you feel her keel?
Her diet is the same as the other 8 layers we have, organic layer feed, some scratch grain every day, and Omega supplement mixed into their dish for hearty eggs, but she never comes out. And may I ask what a keel is?

Her diet is the same as the other 8 layers we have, organic layer feed, some scratch grain every day, and Omega supplement mixed into their dish for hearty eggs, but she never comes out. And may I ask what a keel is?
Cut out the scratch grains, at least every day.
Sorry, a keel is the bone that runs under her from front to back from her chest to her butt. What's Omega supplement?

She must be massive. I'm wondering if she's so fat because she never moves or if there's a hormone issue that causing her to gain weight and stay broody.
She is the only one of our birds who is like this. They all eat the same thing and are very healthy and have healthy eggs. She is the only one with this problem so I don’t think it’s diet

Back
Top Bottom