Shed roof or peaked roof?

Wise Woman

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 12, 2011
My Cottage
I am trying to get my new coop design nailed down. We know we are doing an all in one, Heather Bullard style coop, only bigger. I have looked at a lot of this style of coops now and notice most of them have a peaked roof instead of a shed style roof. I am wondering if there is some advantage to this style that I am not aware of.

My husband's skill set and patience level would make a shed style roof a more appropriate choice for us. Less stress, less swearing and so forth. We will be building the coop about a foot away from a block wall and the roof would be higher in the front of the coop than the back. We will also be installing rain spouting and rain barrels to prevent any water from collecting and getting into the run. We do get snow and we will build it with that in mind. We can use either asphalt shingles or metal for the roofing. Am I missing something here?

Here is my inspiration picture of a covered run that has a shed roof similar to what my husband could build.

Here is what I normally see built.

While I do feel the peaked roof is more aesthetically pleasing, it isn't worth going to divorce court over. However, if there is a good reason for choosing a peaked over a shed roof, I could possibly hire someone to do that bit. We are trying to do this as reasonably as possible, but are willing to put the money into it so that it is good and sturdy. Thanks for your advice.

I found these pictures on pinterest and no copyright infringement is intended.

Last edited:
I live in the south an have the shed type roof works great for me. I don't have to worry bout snow, but I would go with the one that could support snow build up if I lived up north

I have a shed roof and keep thinking a peaked roof, but it sounds like both have pros and cons.

I have a heavy snow load and do not have problems, but my roof support beams are very heavy-duty. There is a big overhang front and back, which keeps rain from going in the windows on both.

Back
Top Bottom