Shedding Quail?

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
Two of my female jumbo quail have recently started shedding. I have heard quail can do this, but I just wanted to check on here if this is common.

Three of my female quail were driven back from my pop's on Monday. However, only two of them are shedding.

One of the affected quail (Hercules) was looking slightly disheveled when I went to see them, but the other was normal looking. The next day the other quail (Spot) started looking disheveled and Hercules started losing feathers suddenly.

Could this be caused by stress? Could it be heat induced? The car was a little warm on the way back. I'm planning on adding more hiding spaces and fake plants to their cage as soon as I get the chance to go the Bunnings. I just really hope they aren't sick.

Throughout this drama the third quail (George) who recently had some egg laying problems has been happily laying eggs daily, even laying one as soon as she got home.

I managed to get a photo of Spot, but I didn't want to annoy Hercules as she was in the dust bath (I try to leave them alone when they are in there).
PXL_20230719_080841866.jpg
PXL_20230719_080838546.jpg
PXL_20230719_080836908.jpg

(Sorry about the bad lighting)
Hercules looks more puffed up than Spot. They look disheveled everywhere, but most of the feather loss is on their necks.

The only reason I know they are all girls is because my pop says he got three eggs in one day. I have seen George and Spot lay an egg but not Hercules, so I don't think this is a mating thing like google suggests.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm pretty tired. Any opinion is welcomed.

Attachments

• PXL_20230719_080839956.jpg
    PXL_20230719_080839956.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 3
Two of my female jumbo quail have recently started shedding. I have heard quail can do this, but I just wanted to check on here if this is common.

Three of my female quail were driven back from my pop's on Monday. However, only two of them are shedding.

One of the affected quail (Hercules) was looking slightly disheveled when I went to see them, but the other was normal looking. The next day the other quail (Spot) started looking disheveled and Hercules started losing feathers suddenly.

Could this be caused by stress? Could it be heat induced? The car was a little warm on the way back. I'm planning on adding more hiding spaces and fake plants to their cage as soon as I get the chance to go the Bunnings. I just really hope they aren't sick.

Throughout this drama the third quail (George) who recently had some egg laying problems has been happily laying eggs daily, even laying one as soon as she got home.

I managed to get a photo of Spot, but I didn't want to annoy Hercules as she was in the dust bath (I try to leave them alone when they are in there).View attachment 3581799View attachment 3581801View attachment 3581803
(Sorry about the bad lighting)
Hercules looks more puffed up than Spot. They look disheveled everywhere, but most of the feather loss is on their necks.

The only reason I know they are all girls is because my pop says he got three eggs in one day. I have seen George and Spot lay an egg but not Hercules, so I don't think this is a mating thing like google suggests.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm pretty tired. Any opinion is welcomed.
It looks like they're molting. Is there any blood on the bare spot on their necks?

It looks like they're molting. Is there any blood on the bare spot on their necks?
No. I don't think anyone has been picking at it. Is molting normal in Winter for quail? I'm in Australia so it's Winter instead of Summer, but they did get pretty warm in that travel cage.

No. I don't think anyone has been picking at it. Is molting normal in Winter for quail? I'm in Australia so it's Winter instead of Summer, but they did get pretty warm in that travel cage.
It's probably molting then :)
Just keep an eye on them, but looks/sounds normal and fine

Back
Top Bottom