Shell less eggs for my 3yo Golden Comet

Alohaeme

Hatching
May 14, 2022
My Golden Comet has been laying for three years now, she's always had lovely XL brown eggs, almost daily. The last 3 months I haven't seen her eggs. She's not very active anymore and has been spending her nights in a nesting box and not up on the roost. I went out to do a head count the other night before locking them up and she laid a liquid egg right Infront of me. Not even a soft shell, just yolk and whites. While the rest of the flock forages in the yard she's more likely to just pick a spot and either stand and sleep or sit to sleep. She still get excited when I walk out with the scraps bowl from the kitchen. Is she sick, or just old ?

In my personal experience, the super layer hybrids from hatcheries "play out" young...at about 3 years of age.

Her behavior is what I have experienced. Lethargy, poor quality, less frequent eggs. Typically it indicates an internal reproductive issue, often ovarian cancer.

I have lost every one of my Golden Comets or Red Sexlinks by 3 to 3 1/2 years (almost like clockwork).

I have mixed breed mutts in my olive egger program that are pushing 5 even 6 years and still laying (though not quite as frequently as youth).

So in my personal experience and opinion, the super layers are selected to over produce at the sad side effect of causing internal cancers and issues.

I could be wrong...I would worm her and treat her for external parasites in case that load is causing a drag in her system. I personally like to use Ivermectin pour on (1/4 ml to 1/2 ml depending on size of bird of the 1% 5mg per 5ml type). This addresses internal and external parasites (unless your particular vicinity has a tolerance built up against ivermectin).

Good luck with her. I hope my experience isn't yours.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom