shipping chicks, eggs, etc through USPS

Hippie Chickie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Port Orchard
Hey there, I am a rural carrier and have been talking to my boss about the trials and tribulations of shipping through the post office. He suggested to me to give our shipping department people some feedback. So my question is this. What do want to see happen for you when shipping and recieving eggs, chicks and adult birds? Okay, nothing crazy like overnight shipping for free and a garantee that the chicks will lay golden eggs. My post office always calls the customer when thier chicks/adult birds come in. If there is no phone number the supervisor takes them out to the customer. If no one is home a notice is left and the chicks are brought back to the office. Unless eggs require a signiture they are delieverd by the regular carrier and left at the door. We have not had crushed chick or labeled egg boxes to my knowledge. We did have one instance where adult roosters did not do well in shipping. They were sent express and needed a signiture. There was no phone number on the box and no one was home when delivery was attemted. We did open the box up and give them water. They did not look to good when the owners picked them up the day after we got them. In the owners deffense we did get them in the day after they were shipped and so they came in a day earlier than was expected. So tell me chick affiecianadoes, what can be done in your opinion to help these chicks and chicks-to-be get to their new home safely?

I've not had chicks shipped before. One of my concerns about shipping chicks is if they get hung up through the system, they will have a much more increased chance of dieing. I wish that more PO's would do what your office did and give them some water. Or at least have some kind of protocol for helping the animals that are shipped. For instance, requiring that the shipping party provide some feed either in the package or with it in a seperate package or something like that. Personally, I wouldn't care if it cost me extra money if it insured that my day old chicks that were in transit for 4 days were fed at some point by my postal system. It might give them more of a fighting chance.

My experience -- I live in a small, rural town -- was ideal. I had phoned the P.O. and told my carrier the day before my chix were expected that they were on the way. When the box arrived on the 4:30 a.m. truck, they attempted the number the hatchery had listed on the box, which was off by a digit. Then, they looked me up in the phone book (!) and called me! I picked them up by five, 103 arrived safe and sound.

So, I know it can't happen everywhere, but I was very pleased with the effort my local postmistress made to ensure everything happened fast. Maybe if the P.O. made up an info sheet for people expecting chicks? They could say, "Please call the p.o. or notify your carrier the day before your chicks are expected. Our trucks come at ____ a.m. and ____ p.m. Please list your phone numbers and alternates for those times of day, so that we can be sure you get your chicks when they come in."

BTW, the turkey poults ordered by my sister's daughter in law arrived a day early....THEIR townlet is so small, the P.M. knew who her mother-in-law was and phoned HER to come get the poults!

My disaster order shipped Monday express from Ohio and didn't arrive in Portland Oregon until Thursday morning. The PO at my end was great and very caring.

I don't know what happened between the shipper and me, but no one cared enough to check on a live box o' chicks and make sure they got going quick.

From what I have read: local PO's almost always do fine. Occasionally a shipment is delayed, but I am not getting the impression it is many compared to the volume of chicks that are shipped, never mind the volume of mail that is handled daily. (Hardly scientific, of course.)

I hope some others will chime in here, esp. about shipping eggs, as I have no experience with this, but I get the impression this is more of a problem than chicks. Trouble is, if there needs to be a change, it is probably at the level of PO policy.

BTW, I lost 21 of a shipment of 51 chicks last Feb, but I do not blame the post office.

You might try another thread in the incubating eggs section?

Back
Top Bottom