Short-Term Separations?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
If I want to separate my flock short-term by moving some hens to a secondary pen (which is out of sight but not hearing from the main coop), so that I can collect eggs from my Australorps only without mixing them up with the other brown-layers,

1. How many days could I have hens in the separate pen without causing major pecking order problems?

2. Assuming roughly equal numbers, would it be better to move the ones I want to collect from or to move the others and let the chosen girls stay in the main coop where they're used to being?

If I want to separate my flock short-term by moving some hens to a secondary pen (which is out of sight but not hearing from the main coop), so that I can collect eggs from my Australorps only without mixing them up with the other brown-layers,

1. How many days could I have hens in the separate pen without causing major pecking order problems?

2. Assuming roughly equal numbers, would it be better to move the ones I want to collect from or to move the others and let the chosen girls stay in the main coop where they're used to being?
Moving the hens you want eggs from might cause them to not lay which would defeat the purpose. I would let them stay and move the others.

Back
Top Bottom