Should I Be Concerned?

canaday413

Chirping
Mar 21, 2015
Our Red Sex Link Cordelia started laying about three months ago and hasn't missed a day since...until yesterday and today. The reason I am concerned is because one of our beloved hens, Lizzie, passed away on Wednesday. We noticed something was wrong with her Tuesday and separated her from the flock that evening. She passed away the next morning.

Do things like this affect the other hens? They were buds. There were only six of them. Five now. :(

On the other hand, I am concerned that maybe Lizzie had something that was contagious. She hadn't started laying yet but it was time and she had squatted for me once. So we suspected egg bound. In our ignorance, we didn't know how to handle the situation. We don't know for sure it was that...

It could just be the weather getting cooler and the days getting shorter but I wanted to reach out and see if I need to be paying super duper attention? I'm already overanalyzing everything she does. We are going to put electrolytes and probiotics in their water today just get a head start on anything that may be amiss.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

A member of the flock passing could halt production for a bit, and unfortunately if your hen passed from something contagious all your hens are already exposed. Sometimes a chicken just dies like yours, looking healthy one day and gone the next, it is a part of chicken keeping. Hopefully your hen will resume laying in a day or two, and the reason was limited to her.

A member of the flock passing could halt production for a bit, and unfortunately if your hen passed from something contagious all your hens are already exposed. Sometimes a chicken just dies like yours, looking healthy one day and gone the next, it is a part of chicken keeping. Hopefully your hen will resume laying in a day or two, and the reason was limited to her.

I've been observing her and it looks like she is not well. There are no signs and symptoms other than she, like
Lizzie did, is not acting herself, not pecking at the ground and just stands hovering under chairs and bushes. :(

I'll move over to the illness forum from here.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom