Should I be worried?

Here's today's prognosis for both birds:

Splash - has been wheezy the past few days but eating. Not sure if she is drinking. I treated her today with Fenbendazol (2nd day treatment) and some amoxicillan. I gave her the amoxicillan because she is wheezing. Comb still pale but she doesn't seem particularly lethargic. Poop looks normal.

CCLB - I'm not convinced she is eating or drinking. Neither looks touched. Her comb is red but still flopped over. She seems lethargic. The swelling in her face is very reduced but she still has a little nasal discharge. I treated her with Fenbendazol (2nd day treatment) and neomycin eye drops. Her poop looks extremely runny. Haven't seen any more worms in her poop since I brought her inside.

These two seem to be exact opposites of each other, symptom wise. Not sure what else to do.... I will treat the entire flock tonight with Safeguard.

OMG... I absolutely LOVE the poultry department at U of A! I had sent their department head the picture of my CCLB in an effort to figure out if it is Mycoplasma. He talked to me for nearly 20 minutes about both birds. He told me what the possible diagnoses COULD be (a new strain of bronchitis in the area, Mycoplasma, or possibly something else that started with an L). He suggested I switch the eye drops to terramycin instead of neomycin because it will work better and faster. He asked me to send him more pictures in 2 days. He will use the photos in his teaching course. He also offered two options for diagnostic testing to see if it IS MG - either a blood test (they'd have to cull the bird) or a PCR throat swab. He warned me that if she did test positive, my farm would be quarantined and that the state would have final say on whether my birds would have to be culled or not. Since I'm just a "hobby flock" and not near any commercial chicken farms, it is unlikely that they would force a mass culling.

Lastly, he told me to save his phone number and that I could text him questions any time.... I told him that I had used a video he created a while back to guide me through a necropsy I did on a hen who died last year. His video was wonderful and I couldn't have done it without it. He thanked me and told me if I ever do another one, I can send him my pictures at each stage and he will give me his opinion on a diagnosis!

Attachments

• yahoo_zpsb6e7a199.gif
    yahoo_zpsb6e7a199.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
All I can say is WOW... The Terramycin made a big difference. The neomycin helped reduce some of the swelling but not completely and she still had some nasal discharge. After just ONE dose of Terramycin, the swelling is almost completely gone and the nasal discharge has dried up. Her comb looks better too.... Of course the deworming probably helped. Check out the difference -

BEFORE
20211209_174553.jpg

AFTER
20211213_122235.jpg

I just need to confirm that she is actually eating again. If her crop feels full tonight, I will release her back with the flock tomorrow.

Splash, on the other hand, hasn't changed much. I gave her the amoxicillan on Saturday and she seemed improved on Sunday. Today she is wheezing again. I've also noticed that she is dropping white flakes, almost like dandruff.... EVERYWHERE. I swept up a ton of it this weekend and there's already a bunch more on the floor of the crate. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom