Should I free range or build a run?

We have both too. We free range during the day. If I see a hawk, the weather is bad or I am going to be home late that day - I put them in the pen.
smile.png

I use both. It's nice to have a place (run) to keep your birds 1) if you're fertilizing your yard or using chemicals around your property 2) if you discover you have a predator issue and need a few days to clear it up 3) you have family/friends over and want to have an outdoor event without the chickens bugging you to death 4) somebody brings their dog over doesn't have good control over it... Freeranging is great, but it's nice to have facilities for the different situations that can come up...

I use a converted doghouse in my garage for a coop and "freerange" with a lg pvc pen that I move every day or so. While this is working very well I am concerned about keeping them penned in the coop on freezing days this coming winter. I plan on expanding to a shed coop with an attached run so they can come and go freely and still freeranginging them most of the day when possible. We also have 100+F weather in the summer so it would be nice to have fan or A/C for them. This year I didn't have to worry about that so much. So in short... I would have both. Start with one and add the other when possible.

We're in a high-predator area and everyone who free-ranged lost their flocks. I heard yesterday that a raiser of meat birds is averaging 2-4 birds a day. You may be able to let them range when you're nearby, but a covered run with a predator flange is a godsend. Ours is in links below and we're building our second one now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-our-second-coop

I vote free range when you are home but have a covered run otherwise.
big_smile.png

There is nothing so tragic as to lose hen(s), especially when you could have
avoided it.
sad.png

Thank you for all of your input guys. I built a run off the coop this weekend and Im basically ready for my hens. Thanks again for all the info!

Back
Top Bottom