Should I integrate a new Rooster?

WaywardNerd

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
I have a mixed flock that consists of 5 laying hens, 2 Royal Palm hens, 5 royal palm poults (hatched out in May), and 4 chicks being raised by one of my Royal Palm hens. I had a Silie Roo that was part of my original flock so was older than the rest. My neighbor's rooster came into my yard yesterday while my feather babies were free-ranging and killed my Roo :mad: I am beyond mad. Now my flock is roo-less and murderous a-hole is still coming over here trying to get to my girls.
With this being said, would you all recommend I attempt to integrate a new roo? I'm not concerned with fertilized eggs but this flock has always had a roo with them.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. You said you are not concerned with fertile eggs. Every other reason is just personal preference. Nothing wrong with that, I have a few personal preferences myself. If you want a rooster get one and deal with the consequences.

Your hens will adjust to life without a rooster. Many people have flocks with no rooster and are quite happy. Many of us would not have a flock without a rooster. It comes down to personal preferences and your preferences are the only ones that count. Mine or anyone else's should not be what you base your decision on.

I think that if you get a new rooster, you are asking for another cock fight. While I would not ask for reimbursement for my rooster, I would ask that your neighbor keep their rooster at home, but that might not be possible, or permanent. Determined roosters can be the very devil to keep in the 'right' spot.

Roosters really do not understand boundary lines. That rooster say to himself, 'OH look there are some girls that should belong to me, I can (and did) whip that rooster, and so those girls belong to me, and he will try and take them home...unless he has been run out of the home coop.

If so, then he may move into your coop, with 'his' girls. So...if you want...there is your new rooster. If you don't like him, or he is mean or aggressive. Well he would be invited to dinner if the original owner did not contain him at home.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom