Should I let my chickens out when it's raining?

Open there door and let them decide what they want to do. I open my coop almost every day except really cold days in winter. Even in winter I go out and shovel about an 8 X 8 area outside, and spread some hay for them to scratch thru. Never forget one day looking out and there was a brave hen who waded thru snow up to her neck to get over to the bird feeders to pick up seeds! I picked her up and carried her back and gave her a good talking to about frozen toes and snow blindness.

My chickens decide if they want to be out or not. Sometimes a light drizzle sends them all running inside, other times it's coming down steadily and they're all wandering around in the run.

If chickens couldn't handle being wet, no one in the Pacific NW would be able to have any!
:goodpost:

PNW girl here! My chickens are big cowards (but still only 8-9 weeks old) and they won't leave the coop when it's breezy and/or raining at all. They have an area of their attached run covered by a tarp but they seem to be afraid of the tarp too. So they spend most of their time in the coop the last few days.. they'll have to learn that rain and wind won't hurt them or they will be bored chicks! We probably won't get much dry weather until June. ;)

If your run is attached I vote for just opening the coop and letting them decide.

Mine got wet the other day and our night time low was 34 degrees. It really worried me, I put them up 2 hrs early to give them time to dry out before night. I seriously contemplated bringing them in and blow-drying all 30 of them, but did not. :lauMy husband thought I was crazy. None of them froze or got sick though. I was wondering about what to do on wet, rainy, windy, cold fall and winter days. I guess open the door and let them out, it seems some people's chicks stay in the coop though, mine go out and stand in the rain, even the ones with feathered feet. Maybe mine just aren't the brightest crayons in the box. :lau

Mine are 6 weeks old and they go in and out of the coop all day long - today it is rainy and windy. I was contemplating locking them inside for the day, but they seem to be OK. It is 55 degrees inside the coop (and they have a mama heating pad they can cuddle on) and 52 degrees outside and nasty. I’ve been watching them go up and down the ramp since 7am.

Neither my 2 1/2 year olds or 11 week olds like a moderate rain. A light rain or drizzle and they're out.
Now wind they don't like, it ruffles their feathers. Anything above a breeze, they're looking for protection.
I have raised coops, they can shelter underneath or stay in coop.
My new coop is in a covered dog kennel and bottom half is covered with a tarp to protect against wind, but rain will come in if blowing sideways.
I open the chicken door on both coops at 5am rain or snow and let the girls decide. 20181027_064746.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom