Should I rehome bullied chicken?

my birds are not laying yet. Any thoughts about screening in the nest boxes and letting the new girl sleep in there? She will be in view and close proximity to roosting flock

So I had a bout of coccidiosis. One hen in particular was on deaths door while none of the others appeared sick at all. She has always been the bottom of the barrel in the pecking order. I have her wear a saddle to prevent the flock ripping her back feathers off. I treated everyone and kept her in a large dog kennel in the coop so she could still be with everyone. She was getting better and once she was interested in food again and more active I let her back out to her flock. She was fine for a couple days with no issue and was getting better everyday. Then one day I looked out my window and saw her body on the ground, I thought she was dead. But I went out and she was still alive but they pecked her face to a swollen bloody mess, she couldnt even open her eyes or sit up. I brought her inside to monitor her closely and keep her out of the heat while she healed; force fed her water and blended food, etc.
Well she lived and is doing great. Both eyes are ok and she's up and talkative and eating on her own again.
I'd selfishly love to keep her because of all the work I put into her and cant help but feel closer to her, but at the same time Im afraid to let her back with the flock. It feels like the best thing to do is find her a new flock for her safety.
Has anyone experienced something similar? Thoughts?
I would say that you are doing a great job as this chicken’s advocate. 👍🏻🙏🏼

Back
Top Bottom