Should I rehome one of my Drakes?

photogal76118

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 16, 2014
I bought 4 Rouen ducklings from TSC back in late February. It’s becoming obvious that 2 of them are drakes. They have the quiet raspy quacks where the other two are loud and honking, and these two are turning green on their faces and their chest feathers are coming in grey. So I have 2 hens and 2 drakes. Yesterday I adopted 2 more Rouen hens that are about 2 weeks younger than mine. So now I have 4 hens and 2 drakes, all around 8-10 weeks old.
Is this ratio okay or would it be better to rehome one of the drakes?

Hello!

I’ve never really had ducks, so I’m not sure. However, I have heard that about four ducks/hens for every drake is the optimum ratio. If you separated them into two groups, you could possibly keep them, although it definitely wouldn’t be ideal. It would probably be easier for you and better for them to just rehome one drake, which I know can be really hard sometimes, especially if you raised it from a baby. It is probably the best option though, and it would help all of them to live their best lives. I’m sorry, but I hope this helps.

I tried with that ratio and it was an utter fail. The two male’s each had their own two girls but would attack the other drake’s females. The girls paid the cost. Eventually, I tried getting rid of one but the remaining male still attacked the former drakes girls. I had to eventually rehome him too. So, I think you would save yourself some headaches by rehoming sooner than later. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom