Should I rest the eggs or not?

SpotTheCat

Herding cats
Jan 19, 2021
UK
My shipped chicken eggs should be arriving today or tomorrow. I am not sure if I should let them rest or not, since I have hatched 2 batches of shipped quail eggs and I did not let them rest, which didn’t seem to cause a problem. But that was in a incubator that holds them upright. This time I am using a incubator that holds them on their side and they are bantam chicken eggs not quail eggs.

I would let them rest. Especially since they’re bantams. I have had so many issues with the post this year and my eggs. I had to help an OE chick earlier this week because it’s air cell was saddled. The chick pipped in the middle of the egg and hadn’t made progress for almost 15 hours. I don’t remember if I let this egg rest or not.

But I let all of my bantam eggs rest, now. The last time I didn’t none of them made it. Some were fertilized but ended up dying at some point in the incubation process. This could have been my fault but the post isn’t too careful. And bantam eggs are more fragile. This time around I let my bantam eggs rest. They rested for 24 hours and 21 out of 32 are viable. I’m hoping they all hatch. But I’ll be happy with 50%, it’s better than 0%.

I would let them rest. Especially since they’re bantams. I have had so many issues with the post this year and my eggs. I had to help an OE chick earlier this week because it’s air cell was saddled. The chick pipped in the middle of the egg and hadn’t made progress for almost 15 hours. I don’t remember if I let this egg rest or not.

But I let all of my bantam eggs rest, now. The last time I didn’t none of them made it. Some were fertilized but ended up dying at some point in the incubation process. This could have been my fault but the post isn’t too careful. And bantam eggs are more fragile. This time around I let my bantam eggs rest. They rested for 24 hours and 21 out of 32 are viable. I’m hoping they all hatch. But I’ll be happy with 50%, it’s better than 0%.
Thank you! Good luck with your hatch!

Thank you! why does that give the best results?

You can believe that it helps, I honestly do not think setting eggs for 24 hours makes any bit of difference BUT I still DO IT because why not? It's not like the eggs are going to be worse off and the last bantam eggs that arrived arrived all shook up yet again.
I will completely agree the post has just given up caring this year and bantam eggs just seem to have the air cell held in place by a membrane with the strength of paper.

80% of my last shipped eggs arrived with completely dislodged air cells and I know a dislodged air cell is impossible to hatch, I've never managed in my life so I know 80% of these won't make it but stubbornly I have set them in the incubator anyway after lettting them rest for 24 hours and I have decided not to turn them for the first 3 days since they are dead anyway but it is what people religiously preach to do so I am doing it because honestly I would rather be religious about it than throw them in the bin.

You can believe that it helps, I honestly do not think setting eggs for 24 hours makes any bit of difference BUT I still DO IT because why not? It's not like the eggs are going to be worse off and the last bantam eggs that arrived arrived all shook up yet again.
I will completely agree the post has just given up caring this year and bantam eggs just seem to have the air cell held in place by a membrane with the strength of paper.

80% of my last shipped eggs arrived with completely dislodged air cells and I know a dislodged air cell is impossible to hatch, I've never managed in my life so I know 80% of these won't make it but stubbornly I have set them in the incubator anyway after lettting them rest for 24 hours and I have decided not to turn them for the first 3 days since they are dead anyway but it is what people religiously preach to do so I am doing it because honestly I would rather be religious about it than throw them in the bin.

As the saying goes if humty dumpty falls off the wall, put him back on the wall, wait 24 hours and humpty will be fixed again.
I didn’t let my quails rest because it was quite warm when they where shipped, I was worried some of them might have all ready have started developing. It’s not so warm now so I probably will let them rest.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom