Should I say "Standard" or "Large fowl"?

cochin44

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
St. Amant, LA
I have seen posters on this board get corrected for using the term "standard" instead of "large fowl"
When would you use each word? I never say large fowl, and its never used at shows that I've been too.

Technically they should be referred to as large fowl but alot of people (myself included) say standard. Standard can also be used to describe a bird that is to the APA/ABA standard whether it be bantam or large. Standard being used to describe largefowl I think came about because people mostly talk about a standard/average size bird. I could be totally wrong but that is why I think it is like that.

I have always said standard as in, standard size as opposed to bantam size. But if I say to standard, that means to breed standards.

It can be confusing for people who show their birds. I try to say standard size, but so many people just skim posts and they miss that. It's mostly about different dialects, and if one slows down enough to really read a post one can usually tell which usage is meant.
big_smile.png

Large Fowl is the correct term - Standard can be confused with the term of "Standard of Perfection" - Meaning how it should look. So really you could be saying an APA perfect bird, not a non-bantam.
smile.png

I have always said large fowl. It just never made any sense to me to say standard...after all, aren't there standard bantams? There's standard everything. It confuses my little mind to hear "standard" in reference to size. So y'all go easy on me and start saying large fowl, ok?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom