Should i take the keets?

Ndahly

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Minnesota
Hello!
So my guinea has been laying on a nest in a big burn pile and they just started hatching! My plan was to take the keets and raise in a brooder because she's still laying on the eggs. I'm worried if I do though, will that make her abandon her nest? It's been really hot here the last few days and it's going to stay hot. I found a dead keet in the yard yesterday so I don't want more to die. But I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Any help is appreciated!

I would suggest taking the live keets and place them in the brooder until mama hatches the rest of the eggs that are supposed to hatch.
There is a chance that she will abandon the eggs if you take away the baby keets, but it’s very low. It’s best to do it sooner than later.

I made the mistake of leaving little baby quail with a bantam hen for too long, and she killed every one of them. I shouldve taken them away while I had the chance, then wait till they are older, stronger, and more active, and return them to the mama.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

There is a chance that she will abandon the eggs if you take away the baby keets, but it’s very low.
Guineas, unless they are super tame tend to abandon nests very quickly whenever the nest gets disturbed for any reason.

Guineas do not react the same as chickens or other poultry. They have different instincts.

Hello!
So my guinea has been laying on a nest in a big burn pile and they just started hatching! My plan was to take the keets and raise in a brooder because she's still laying on the eggs. I'm worried if I do though, will that make her abandon her nest? It's been really hot here the last few days and it's going to stay hot. I found a dead keet in the yard yesterday so I don't want more to die. But I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Any help is appreciated!
Take the keets and have the incubator running and ready in case she abandons the nest. Candle the remaining eggs to make sure that you don't put bad eggs in the incubator.

Take the keets and have the incubator running and ready in case she abandons the nest. Candle the remaining eggs to make sure that you don't put bad eggs in the incubator.
That was going to be another question, if she does abandon them how long do I need to incubate them for? And what temp? Should I leave the egg turner on?

That was going to be another question, if she does abandon them how long do I need to incubate them for? And what temp? Should I leave the egg turner on?
The temperature is the same as for chicken eggs. Candling them will give you an idea of how far along there are. It is likely to be an extended hatch.

If they are within a week of to ten days of hatching you can leave the turner off.

I would suggest taking the live keets and place them in the brooder until mama hatches the rest of the eggs that are supposed to hatch.
There is a chance that she will abandon the eggs if you take away the baby keets, but it’s very low. It’s best to do it sooner than later.

I made the mistake of leaving little baby quail with a bantam hen for too long, and she killed every one of them. I shouldve taken them away while I had the chance, then wait till they are older, stronger, and more active, and return them to the mama.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.
All I'm going to say is mama is VERY protective of her keet. 😂😂 it was out so I thought I would grab it quick....... nope! Lol she came out of there so fast, scratched me and scared my tough kelpie/border collie away even. So not sure if I should leave it or wait until it's dark to try and grab it.

All I'm going to say is mama is VERY protective of her keet. 😂😂 it was out so I thought I would grab it quick....... nope! Lol she came out of there so fast, scratched me and scared my tough kelpie/border collie away even. So not sure if I should leave it or wait until it's dark to try and grab it.
I would wait until it gets dark and maybe use some heavy duty gloves if you’re worried about her pecking you or scratching you.

Going to ask this on here so I don't have to start a new thread but I haven't seen any more keets. I'm not sure if the two that hatched were the first eggs she laid but it's definitely been 26 days I'd say. How many more days should I leave her to see if they'll hatch? Or am I better off kicking her off the pile and candling/incubating them?

Going to ask this on here so I don't have to start a new thread but I haven't seen any more keets. I'm not sure if the two that hatched were the first eggs she laid but it's definitely been 26 days I'd say. How many more days should I leave her to see if they'll hatch? Or am I better off kicking her off the pile and candling/incubating them?
So you were able to capture the keets and are brooding yourself? Is your aim to have mama Guinea raise keets or do you want to brood all yourself? Either way, I’d probably kick her off the nest and candle them, sorting them by development and fertility. If you kick her off and see that there are pipped eggs I’d just let her right back on. If you have an incubator and you want to brood yourself you could take them all. If you want her to raise some, I’d just leave her the most developed ones and put the rest in the incubator.

Mine will readily get back on the nest after I kick them off. I can herd mine off the nest with a stick or broom (what I had handy last night). If you are concerned, where boots, long pants and sleeves, eye protection etc. Mine are used to being herded off of nests so they don’t usually get so upset. Every night, I herd any broody guineas off nests and into run, where I toss them some mealworms so they get something good out of it. Then I take any new, unmarked eggs from the nest and then let mamas back into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom