Should mommas raise their chicks within the flock?

Ryn

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2018
Oklahoma
I need some advice. This is our second year letting mommas hatch and raise chicks. Last year I made small little areas within our coop for each momma (3) and they all successfully raised their chicks and there were no issues integrating the babies since they were always present. Fast forward to this year: one momma hatched three and is successfully raising them within the coop. Our second momma hatched and lost both her babies due to the other chickens attacking the chicks. I feel horrible and completely responsible for this. Did I get lucky last year and l’m fooling myself thinking they can raise them within the coop or am I just going about it incorrectly?

We would put momma and babies in separate cage that is hooked to the main one everyone can see them but can't get them. After they start growing their feathers, we would let them out to eat bugs with every one else to get them use to each other. After a while, we let them in with everyone. Worked for us.

We would put momma and babies in separate cage that is hooked to the main one everyone can see them but can't get them. After they start growing their feathers, we would let them out to eat bugs with every one else to get them use to each other. After a while, we let them in with everyone. Worked for us.
If you have more than one momma do they each get their own cage or all together?

Super important to separate off chicks with their mama as much as possible from all the other hens/roo. Some other hens and/or rooster will kill the the baby chicks. It was a sad lesson I learned. I only had one other hen in my little group of seven that would not try to kill the baby chicks when they were first born. I now understand the importance of giving mama and chicks there own little space.

Super important to separate off chicks with their mama as much as possible from all the other hens/roo. Some other hens and/or rooster will kill the the baby chicks. It was a sad lesson I learned. I only had one other hen in my little group of seven that would not try to kill the baby chicks when they were first born. I now understand the importance of giving mama and chicks there own little space.
Okay thank you! Do you think mommas with babies would kill other chicks or just none broody mommas?

If you have more than one momma do they each get their own cage or all together?
If we had more than one, I brought in one or two mommas and put them in separate big boxes until they were big enough. My hens are pretty well trained, so they stay in the box until the babies can at least move around enough that she can get up and stretch. Then she wants to take the out onto the floor. Good thing it is not on carpet. Seemed to work out fine for us.

Back
Top Bottom