Should we eat our egg eating pullet?

Quote:
Wow karl, when I read that I almost peed my pants!!
lau.gif

IMHO, you could take the time and effort to try all those deterant methods and still end up with an egg eater as well as a few monkey-see, monkey-do friends. I feel its just best to get rid of said egg eater right away. Sorry. I think I've got the same problem except I can't catch who is doing it. I keep finding eggs with peck cracks in them. All said eggs are white, so I think it just might be one of my white-egg layers. DS says he saw one of my golden brabantars pecking at eggs a week ago, but he can't tell me which one it was. (I've got two of those)

Ha Ha I like the Butcher block remark the best as well!

I do have eight orpington pullets and have a bit of a hard time telling them apart, but I did have the feeling that this particular one was the "head" hen. She even seems to push our roo around sometimes and I don't think he mates with her (yet). We also are not sure we have ever seen her laying an egg yet so perhaps she does not understand what they are all about, but I think she thinks they are all about FOOD. She has a bright red comb and I thought that meant they were generally a good layer?

I guess it is possible she is laying but being really quick about it. Is that possible?

Our rhode island red pullets were a few weeks older and started laying eggs ahead of our orpingtons. I think it changed the status or something as some of the rhode island reds seem to think they are hot stuff now whereas before they were the bottom birds.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the egg eating but we are getting pretty sick of it, I think we are going to find the ol' butcher block on Saturday! Up until then I'm open to suggestions. I don't have a seperate pen at all, just a dog crate or something for a sick bird and she is obviously in perfect health, she is my prettiest one.

I keep wooden and ceramic dummy eggs in the nest all the time... and I think this has helped. The eggs are too hard to crack and they also show the birds where to lay. If a snake gets in....the egg will not digest and it will hurt or kill the snake too...

Back
Top Bottom