Should we have the 9" or 6' window facing south in NC?

thecottage

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 22, 2013
Pollocksville, NC
We are building a new coop that will house 20 free range hens in Eastern NC. We have moveable fencing and they are outside all day. They have separate low shelters in their field that are made from pallets that they get under for shade in summer and open covered shelters for their food.
Our question is in the design of the new coop. We have a 9' window and a 6' window that will be used in the coop. Should we have the 9" or 6' window facing south? My reasoning for the 9' is that they will be in the coop mostly in the winter when it is cold and they will need the sunlight to provide passive solar heat. When it is very hot in summer they will be outside under shelter during the day and will have ventilation to cool down the coop in the evening while they are inside. We can make covering for the windows if it gets too hot, but cannot add more sunlight when it's cold. We have not seen any coop designs using large windows as we have in mind and were wondering if anyone had experience with this. All materials are being upcycle from other projects and want to make the most of what we have on hand.

I would put the 9' window on the south wall, with an eave built long enough that summer sun can't shine in but winter sun can. That will allow the coop to be heated by the sun in the winter but not overheated by the sun in the summer. The other window I would place to take full advantage of the prevailing wind direction for ventilation of the coop. By using this strategy you should gain the most benefits.

Back
Top Bottom