Show me your Greenhouse!

Our planting season is over here. Now we are harvesting much of what we planted. It gets so hot in the summer and most plants can't handle the months of constant heat. In the winter if we are expecting a freeze we have frost covers for the beds.
IMG_0260.JPG

One more night of the frost over. One more to go... then the temperature is looking to be safe. I may just keep candles going just to keep it slightly warmer. My plants are looking great I don't want to ruin it know.

Here is a finished front. We added stone all around the 4x4s at the bottom outside.

Attachments

• 20210511_072224.jpg
    20210511_072224.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 5
I’ve been wanting a greenhouse, and I’m wondering about heating it in the winter, and I’m wondering if I keep some of my quail inside it will their body heat help keep it from freezing? The chicks put off a lot of heat from the brooder (after I remove the heat light) so if I moved a few brooders worth of big chicks in and kept rotating in new as I sell them, will they keep a greenhouse warm with lows of usually around low 30s to low 20s? We had a polar vortex or whatever twice, so I would probably need to set up candles in pots for a situation like that, but under normal conditions I’d like to try to keep it warm without any electric or fire hazards.

I’ve been wanting a greenhouse, and I’m wondering about heating it in the winter, and I’m wondering if I keep some of my quail inside it will their body heat help keep it from freezing? The chicks put off a lot of heat from the brooder (after I remove the heat light) so if I moved a few brooders worth of big chicks in and kept rotating in new as I sell them, will they keep a greenhouse warm with lows of usually around low 30s to low 20s? We had a polar vortex or whatever twice, so I would probably need to set up candles in pots for a situation like that, but under normal conditions I’d like to try to keep it warm without any electric or fire hazards.

A bigger issue would be the rapid daytime heating killing the quail.

My greenhouse was 110° yesterday morning at 10 am with the standing air temp at 55°. I have seen those temps on a sunny winter day when it was 35° out as well.

I do not think a backyard greenhouse is a suitable environment for birds.

My greenhouse was 110° yesterday morning at 10 am with the standing air temp at 55°. I have seen those temps on a sunny winter day when it was 35° out as well.

My greenhouse has gotten hot enough to kill plants so I have no doubt they'd kill birds.

I meant just in winter, once it doesn’t freeze at night, they would go back out

I meant just in winter, once it doesn’t freeze at night, they would go back out

That's the thing...in winter the night temp drops and day temp can soar to triple digits in a greenhouse.

Managing those swings and the condensation/humidity is not something I would expect them to be able to do.

Back
Top Bottom