Show Me Your Runners

Hello.

@AGeese :

The question would be... why would you want Indian Runner ducks, exactly?

For the eggs, or for them to get rid of slugs or some insects...?
To have a good fertilizer thanks to their droppings...?
...Just because you like them?

I first took runners home because I needed to remove all the slugs in my garden : I live in a very humid area, with so much and so big slugs in my garden my chickens could not even eat them; and so, in the past, during the planting seasons (vegetables), I had to go out each and every night so I could get rid of the slugs myself, with only my hands to work...

I've finally ended up having enough, so I decided to take runner ducks, since they are renowned to be THE breed to take home if we want to get rid of slugs...

And it was the BEST decicion of my life; ah ah!
Indeed, since then, I have not been having any slugs problems anymore!
Runners work fast, and good!

...Today, I have 11 Indian Runners : 3 males and 8 females.
For now...

DSC09549.JPG

Ratio male-female is really not great : I would actually need more females for next mating season, so I would be sure the ducks are not hurt by the drakes.

But last year was worse than now : because of a error by the seller (can happen!), I had 2 males for 2 females!
I had them mating during a sufficiently long period of time (in spring and early summer, 2023) ONLY so they could fertilize the eggs and give me ducklings... But once I had no more free coop for my broody chickens, I decided to separate my drakes from my females. Because during mating season, drakes are rapist, and agressive, and mean...
(But thanksfully, before that, none of my females were hurt! I was probably lucky, or my drakes are not some kind of monsters compared with some others, during mating season...?)

DSC09492.JPG

DSC09493.JPG

...If you want ducks, you would be wise to take AT LEAST 3 females for 1 drake!

Also, I don't know for geese, but what I know for chickens is : you can let them range together, BUT you will have to separate your drakes from your chickens - even from your rooster(s)! - during mating season.
Because drakes will rape your hens - probably kill some of them doing so -, and could also assault your rooster.
...Mines did! (But did kill none of my chickens, since I had noticed quickly what was happening - thanksfully...!!)

But the rest of the year, you can let your runners with your chickens : they won't fight not kill each others.
Some ducks - especially females, I noticed - are kind of bad-tempered, so if you have agressive chickens, they at least won't let them bully them.

You can really just let them be AND be at peace : each breed will stay on its side, so even if they don't like each others, they won't care so much they would fight for nothing, or whatever...

But if you let your ducks ranging WITH your chickens, you will have to remember to change the water in their waterer(s) several times a day : indeed, ducks dirty the water easily; and you don't want your chickens to drink brown water because of your ducks...

...Concerning the eggs...

1 : Runner ducks lay a lot of eggs...

I generally have 1 egg a day per duck, so I am easily and quickly reimbursed the expenses I make for my ducks...

2 : Ducks' eggs taste richer than chickens' eggs.

I personally prefer ducks' eggs...
But YOU should taste them before taking ducks home : some people don't like ducks' eggs, or discover they are allergic after adopting ducks, sadly...

I find ducks' eggs to be the best for pastry, specifically...

I use the majority of my eggs for flans, and compared with chickens' eggs, ducks' eggs give a so good taste and texture to the flans I make they taste like HEAVEN... like they are made by pastry chef!
And that's really not me : that's thanks to my ducks...!

...Also :

1 : Indian Runners live up to their name.

They run fast.
And they don't fly... or rarely, because they actually could, if they learn.

Indeed : I have one runner drake that learned to fly!

He once was flew away by a very strong wind, and since then, he has known how to fly - boy probably really liked to be so high up!
Nevertheless, he rarely does : he just flew two times during mating season, but just in order to go to the females to mate.

But if ever you have a "flying runner", you don't have to worry about your duck running away : Indian Runner never run away, because they live in group, and NEVER stay away from their group (they are much to cowardly to do so)...

(When my drake flew away because of the wind, he was panicked and crying, and trying to get back home by all means...!!)

2 : Runner ducks need water to swim.

I know some people have Indian Runners and no water for them to swim...
But ALL ducks need to swim for them to have beautiful feathers and no lice, and... in my opinion, Indian Runners are the breed that needs the more to swim : they can be really stupid (one duck fall on some kind of obstacle, and ALL the group - could - do the same), and could hurt themselves easily... and since they are so high on their feet, they look like swimming is essential for them to reduce the risk to have legs' problems...?

(If you have a limping runner, you want the duck to be able to swim in order to heal quickly...)

Voilà.

Here is what I could think to tell about Indian Runners.

Hope it helps.
(Ask questions if you want to!)

@Miss Lydia :

I know I already told you so in the past... but your runner are really beautiful!

I'm kind of waiting for my black runners to be old enough to have these white spots around the eyes : I find them to give a really cute look to the ducks.

@Awaytome :

Your runners are so lovely...!

The brown one are the kind of runner I want...!!

Your drake... is it due to molting, or does he really look like a fawn and white and blue mix...?!
Because for what I can tell thanks to your picture, he has amazing colours...! He really is magnificient!

@DuckyDonna :

Your ducks are cute...

They clearly don't look like they could be sad; ah, ah!
You are spoiling them, and it is showing in the pictures! Looks like a mini-Heaven for ducks...!!
(I feel I have to say it, so : congratulations!)

Their pool is amazing!
Did you make it yourself? How... is it made, exactly?

Last edited:
Hello.

@AGeese :

I first took runners home because I needed to remove all the slugs in my garden : I live in a very humid area, with so much and so big slugs in my garden my chickens could not even eat them; and so, in the past, during the planting seasons (vegetables), I had to go out each and every night so I could get rid of the slugs myself, with only my hands to work...

I've finally ended up having enough, so I decided to take runner ducks, since they are renowned to be THE breed to take home if we want to get rid of slugs...

For now...

View attachment 3748392

Ratio male-female is really not great : I would actually need more females for next mating season, so I would be sure the ducks are not hurt by the drakes.

But last year was worse than now : because of a error by the seller (can happen!), I had 2 males for 2 females!
I had them mating during a sufficiently long period of time (in spring and early summer, 2023) ONLY so they could fertilize the eggs and give me ducklings... But once I had no more free coop for my broody chickens, I decided to separate my drakes from my females. Because during mating season, drakes are rapist, and agressive, and mean...
(But thanksfully, before that, none of my females were hurt! I was probably lucky, or my drakes are not some kind of monsters compared with some others, during mating season...?)

View attachment 3748404

View attachment 3748405

Also, I don't know for geese, but what I know for chickens is : you can let them range together, BUT you will have to separate your drakes from your chickens - even from your rooster(s)! - during mating season.
Because drakes will rape your hens - probably kill some of them doing so -, and could also assault your rooster.
...Mines did! (But did kill none of my chickens, since I had noticed quickly what was happening - thanksfully...!!)

But the rest of the year, you can let your runners with your chickens : they won't fight not kill each others.
Some ducks - especially females, I noticed - are kind of bad-tempered, so if you have agressive chickens, they at least won't let them bully them.

You can really just let them be AND be at peace : each breed will stay on its side, so even if they don't like each others, they won't care so much they would fight for nothing, or whatever...

But if you let your ducks ranging WITH your chickens, you will have to remember to change the water in their waterer(s) several times a day : indeed, ducks dirty the water easily; and you don't want your chickens to drink brown water because of your ducks...

I generally have 1 egg a day per duck, so I am easily and quickly reimbursed the expenses I make for my ducks...

But YOU should taste them before taking ducks home : some people don't like ducks' eggs, or discover they are allergic after adopting ducks, sadly...

I use the majority of my eggs for flans, and compared with chickens' eggs, ducks' eggs give a so good taste and texture to the flans I make they taste like HEAVEN... like they are made by pastry chef!

...Also :

They run fast.

He once was flew away by a very strong wind, and since then, he has known how to fly - boy probably really liked to be so high up!
Nevertheless, he rarely does : he just flew two times during mating season, but just in order to go to the females to mate.

But if ever you have a "flying runner", you don't have to worry about your duck running away : Indian Runner never run away, because they live in group, and never stay away for their group (they are much to cowardly to do so)...

(When my drake flew away because of the wind, he was panicked and crying, and trying to get back home by all means...!!)

I know some people have runner and no water for them to swim...
But ALL ducks need to swim for them to have beautiful feathers and no lice, and... in my opinion, Indian Runners are the breed that needs the more to swim : they can be really stupid (one duck fall on some king of obstacle, and ALL the group - could - do the same), and could hurt themselves easily... and since they are so high on their feet, they look like swimming is essential for them to reduce the risk to have legs' problems...?

(If you have a limping runner, you want the duck to be able to swim in order to heal quickly...)

Voilà.

Hope it helps.

@Miss Lydia :

I know I already told you so in the past... but your runner are really beautiful!

I'm kind of waiting for my black runners to be old enough to have these white spots around the eyes : I find them to give a really cute look to the ducks.

@Awaytome :

Your drake... is it due to molting, or does he really look like a fawn and white and blue mix...?!
Because for what I can tell thanks to your picture, he has amazing colours...! He really is magnificient!

@DuckyDonna :

Your ducks are cute...

You are spoiling them, and it is showing in the pictures! Looks like a mini-Heaven for ducks...!!

Their pool is amazing!
thank you for your kind comments. Their big pool was made from 1 sheet of plywood which is 4' x 8'. the sides are 2"x 12" boards. They were put together and then fiberglassed just like they do with boats. Many layers of fiberglass and resin. We used to own a big fishing boat so my husband knows how to fiberglass. The only thing we didn't think to do was to countersink the drain so after most of the water has drained out I have to sweep the remaining water into the drain when I clean it. There is a big pipe and ball valve that lets the water out the back of the duck run and into a field. It would have been ideal to let the dirty water run into our garden but sadly the garden is too far away to be practical to do that.
B241095C-E865-44C8-9750-160FF9039929.jpeg
B241095C-E865-44C8-9750-160FF9039929.jpeg
EFADC475-7ADC-4D22-9E0B-37FD0D3547DC.jpeg
0C4A03A2-8D76-437A-9768-23AE36886F53.jpeg

All species are housed separately at night, but chickens, runners and geese are allowed to "free range" in the yard during the day while I am home. I've never had an issue with the runners -- and, yes, the drakes are highly driven by hormones in the spring -- trying to mate any of the chickens. I also don't think my chickens would stand for it; they often didn't indulge the big rooster when he was alive and he was Much Larger than a runner drake.

The two goose girls don't attack the ducks, but they do like to walk up to the runners and "herd" them across the yard, apparently just for their own amusement. I'll hear a couple of honks, and see a line of runners, hurrying single file with Gussie and Golly bringing up the rear of the parade.

I am down to just six runners, and two are drakes. One drake would be plenty; the second boy was one of three "sexed" ducklings that were supposed to be all female. So, my issue isn't with the drakes wanting to mate with chickens; it's with the two "lovestruck" boys overmating the female ducks and attacking each other to prove their "manliness." Both end up with bald spots during breeding season as they nip at each other.

My runners take a winter break but usually start laying again in March. The girls are prolific layers; most lay a white egg a day. Some runners lay greenish eggs, as did my first girl.

Although my breeder (who has since gone out of business) could sell duck eggs for $8 a dozen down near Ames, I have found a great many people in this area are reluctant to eat duck eggs-- one of my friends insists they are simply too rich for him to digest.

However, another friend who likes to bake LOVES to use duck eggs in her creations. I think there's a fair amount of education necessary. For example, I had given away some eggs at the bank and checked the next week to see how everyone liked them. One young woman was shocked -- she didn't think a person could EAT those! I had to let the poor thing know that any egg out of any bird is technically edible.

@Awaytome :

Thanks. My drake really is a beautiful mix of blue and fawn and white. Two of the drakes in one clutch had this coloration, four drakes were silvery and the female was white. The female in the second clutch was white, too. I'll try to attach a video link for a better look at him. (I love the chocolates, too!)

18 ducks, 4 geese. I started with Ancona, got some geese, then Grey Runner ducklings, and more Runners when I needed more girls. Overall I don't really notice a huge difference in duck behavior. I like the Runners for the greater color variety and my Greys are very, very upright which is a nice contrast. My neighbors commented ticks have been way down since I moved in and the liked the new 'walking ducks'.

Everyone sticks together, even the geese. The Ancona lay an egg a day and are meatier, but they've been molting/stopping around Oct. The Runner girls were too young to know if they'll extend my egg season. Spring eggs last week.. 3 or 4 a day with one larger (Ancona?)

This morning's coop exodus. Ancona drake is with his fawn Runner GFs. Behind are his Ancona aunt, mom, and brother. Runners, toulouse/Chinese goose, Ancona, and an emerging Grey Runner drake.
D03F278346B9_1708021101247.jpg

From Dec 12th... its washed out but you can see the very upright Greys, fatter Ancona and geese.
20231202_105803.jpg

Their big pool was made from 1 sheet of plywood which is 4' x 8'. the sides are 2"x 12" boards. They were put together and then fiberglassed just like they do with boats. Many layers of fiberglass and resin.

That... is so amazing...!!

My duck pool is made of resin and fiberglass, but I did not make it myself : I just bought it.
The fact yours is made such as... just : RESPECT!

We used to own a big fishing boat so my husband knows how to fiberglass.

That is IMPRESSIVE!
I did see some videos on the Internet, but... yeah : I know it looks easier than it actually is!!

The only thing we didn't think to do was to countersink the drain so after most of the water has drained out I have to sweep the remaining water into the drain when I clean it.

Only people who do nothing don't make any mistakes...

You did great!
Even if you did contersink the drain, you might have to sweep some dirt, so...

There is a big pipe and ball valve that lets the water out the back of the duck run and into a field.

Again : you did great.

You thought about more little things people usually think about when they make a pool, so you can be really, really proud of you...!!

It would have been ideal to let the dirty water run into our garden but sadly the garden is too far away to be practical to do that.

Yeah... that's a shame : ducks' droppings are really good for vegetables!

...A big THANK YOU for you answer and your so beautiful pictures.

That is very kind of you!

I also don't think my chickens would stand for it; they often didn't indulge the big rooster when he was alive and he was Much Larger than a runner drake.

Indian Runners ran fast, and are very smart : if ever they can not outrun a chicken, they will trap her so they will eventually catch her. (If they can, at least...!)
Mines did so...
(Thanksfully, I noticed and thus separated my ducks from my chickens... Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the drakes would have killed them!!)

So, my issue isn't with the drakes wanting to mate with chickens; it's with the two "lovestruck" boys overmating the female ducks and attacking each other to prove their "manliness." Both end up with bald spots during breeding season as they nip at each other.

I don't have this problem with my two older drakes...?
None are dominant on the other, and they never fought... even during mating season!

I think it depends on the drakes' personality and general behaviour...?

Some runners lay greenish eggs, as did my first girl.

I... opened a thread about runner ducks' egg colours : https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/indian-runner-ducks-colours-of-eggs.1611455/

Could you please tell me what colour(s) are your ducks that laid green eggs?
I'm interested about genetic, and, among others, really want to know if Indian Runners' feather colours AND egg colours are somewhat linked!

One young woman was shocked -- she didn't think a person could EAT those!

We can not know everything... but...

My drake really is a beautiful mix of blue and fawn and white.

Yes.
He is so beautiful that I would now really want to have a drake of this colour...!!!

Two of the drakes in one clutch had this coloration, four drakes were silvery and the female was white.

The fact you had a white duck from blue AND fawn and white is what is the more surprising to me...?

I'll try to attach a video link for a better look at him.

Thank you very much for the video!

This morning's coop exodus. Ancona drake is with his fawn Runner GFs. Behind are his Ancona aunt, mom, and brother. Runners, toulouse/Chinese goose, Ancona, and an emerging Grey Runner drake.

YOU have amazing birds...!!

Hello.

@AGeese :

For now...

View attachment 3748392

View attachment 3748404

View attachment 3748405

...Also :

They run fast.

But if ever you have a "flying runner", you don't have to worry about your duck running away : Indian Runner never run away, because they live in group, and NEVER stay away from their group (they are much to cowardly to do so)...

I know some people have Indian Runners and no water for them to swim...
But ALL ducks need to swim for them to have beautiful feathers and no lice, and... in my opinion, Indian Runners are the breed that needs the more to swim : they can be really stupid (one duck fall on some kind of obstacle, and ALL the group - could - do the same), and could hurt themselves easily... and since they are so high on their feet, they look like swimming is essential for them to reduce the risk to have legs' problems...?

Voilà.

Hope it helps.

@Miss Lydia :

@Awaytome :

@DuckyDonna :

Your ducks are cute...

Their pool is amazing!
Thanks for the info! I love duck eggs for sure. I don't think I'll be interested in Drakes. I do have a pond on the property I'm working on to be finished this spring so they'll be out there sharing that with the geese. So they need to be good runners.

Back
Top Bottom