Show quality Salmon Faverolle

So the black one is most probably a male. SF males look very different from females. The one leaning down is fairly dark - does it have black feathers too? If so, possible other male as girls don’t get black feathers, but the males do.

My kid does 4-h and has won Grand Champions before. Not sure if that would be the case at an APA sanctioned show. I’ll be taking the 4-H kid to the huge APA poultry show next weekend in Columbus, OH . Always good to see the big variety of poultry and learn about correct breed standards.

good luck - hope you have some nice SF!
I was advised to go to the Ohio show. They say it's unrivaled.

I'm just back from the Ohio show (and consider myself lucky to only live an hour away), and every year it just gets better. 8000+ entries this year.

One of the top Salmon Faverolle breeders I know of was present, though he didn't have birds for sale (the ones he brought were all pre-sold). If you're looking for SF's I'll see if I can get his contact information for you.

Welcome to the hobby and good luck with your birds!

I'm just back from the Ohio show (and consider myself lucky to only live an hour away), and every year it just gets better. 8000+ entries this year.

One of the top Salmon Faverolle breeders I know of was present, though he didn't have birds for sale (the ones he brought were all pre-sold). If you're looking for SF's I'll see if I can get his contact information for you.

Welcome to the hobby and good luck with your birds!

we were there too!! I’m in the western half of Ohio, so we drove and enjoyed all the various chickens!! I recall that a breeder club had SF breeding pairs on silent auction, so that was another avenue to get nice birds. Still, a good learning experience to see the birds next to each other to be better able to compare their traits!

One of the best things you can do when you go to a show is take some time and talk to not only the breed organizations, but people with the birds you're interested in. A good breeder will take the time to help you learn about the breed, and I can say from experience that having a mentor willing to share the "tricks of the trade" really helps!

I hope to have enough space next year to start breeding good Salmon Faverolles to go with the rest of my show projects.

The Rhode Island Faverolle breeder is Two Twins Farm. Here's the link to their website: https://twotwinsfarm.weebly.com/

It looks like their page hasn't been updated since spring, but as we all know, keeping poultry (or other critters) takes time. Their contact information is listed on their homepage.

Hope this helps!

I did this post late at night which is when my brain doesn't work well. We bought all our chocks including the salmon favaroles for a Hatchery up north . They are only 6 weeks old so to early to tell . A local feed store owner told me if I got them from a Hatchery we won't win any contest (kids are going to die them for 4H). I asked the Hatchery and she rolled me she gets emails of awards winners from her Hatchery all the time. Also see my updated cool and run almost complete.

What hatchery did you get them from? I am looking for a SF breeder in the midwest and not having much luck.

Back
Top Bottom