Sick Chicken - Lethargic, sleepy eyes, clear liquid poop, floppy comb, won't eat, will drink.

Mcmchick

Chirping
May 30, 2021
Looking for sick chicken advice!
Lethargic, sleepy eyes, clear liquid poop, floppy comb, won't eat, will drink.

Most days they free range in the yard, yesterday I kept them in their coop/run set up. When I went to lock everyone up in the coop for the night, this big golden girl (tootsie) was standing outside the coop, she did a almost completely clear diarrhea. I realized the water had run out at some point in the day my mistake, however, it was raining so they probably got some outside along with what they started the day with. I filled the water and they all came out to drink quick and hopped back in, she stood there and drank for like 30 minutes. She couldn't jump into the coop. I put her up on the roost and thinking she was dehydrated came back out a couple hours later for her to drink homemade electrolyte water for about 30 minutes. Today, same thing. I took her off the roost, drank water for a long time. I brought her inside now. Gave her an epsom salt bath. Went out and picked up Nutri-drench and directly dosed her. I don't know what's wrong with her or what to do next. I have amoxicillin but don't want to give it without a good reason. I almost grabbed dewormer at the store but doubted myself. And I swear her comb looked blackish last night and is back to red now 😵‍💫 I know it can be hard to say but looking for any sense of direction!

Attachments

• DSC_0197.JPG
    DSC_0197.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230816_122642.jpg
    20230816_122642.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 11
It could just be dehydration and heat stress. I would continue to get her drinking the fluids and NutriDrench for a few days. Try mixing a watery mash of chicken feed and a bit of scrambled egg. Let us know if she seems improved. Chickens who drink a bunch of water may have watery poops.

Thank you! Problem being OF COURSE, the one time I am leaving for a few days so someone else is keeping an eye on them. Trying to come up with the best course of treatment while I'm gone 😥

I would make sure there are multiple water sources as well as more than one feeder. You may be able to get her back in good shape before you leave. Hopefully your caretaker will keep in touch while you are gone.

I would make sure there are multiple water sources as well as more than one feeder. You may be able to get her back in good shape before you leave. Hopefully your caretaker will keep in touch while you are gone.
Gave her Nutri-drench 2ml. At 11:30. Came back from errands and gave her chicken food mashed with water and shes eating it at 3pm. 👏👏👏 Still sitting in spot in my bathroom definitely not nearly herself but eating is a big step. How often can I give direct oral doses of Nutri-drench? Doesn't say on bottle.

Back
Top Bottom