Sick chicken!! Need help......

Chickinn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Hello everyone. One of our favorite hens is sick. She was very lethargic, puffed up and off to herself. I brought her in the house and have been treating her with Corid. She is acting like she feels much better but is still not eating and has also vomited twice. I did feed her some noodles from our spaghetti tonight and she ate those. Should I be treating her for something else? Her poop is very watery and yellow/clear with some blood in it. Her craw feels spongy but doesn't stink.....

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Try Amprol. If you can find the liquid that is best. If you can't find the liquid at least start her on medicated chick starter. Many fieed stores carry Amprol and they ALL carry medicated chick starter. Follow the directions for the liquid. If you can't find it in feed stores, you can find it on line.

Try Amprol. If you can find the liquid that is best. If you can't find the liquid at least start her on medicated chick starter. Many fieed stores carry Amprol and they ALL carry medicated chick starter. Follow the directions for the liquid. If you can't find it in feed stores, you can find it on line.
Amprol is the same as Corid (amprollium.) Chickens can develop crop stasis or sour crop during an illness. Also during coccidosis they have a lot of abdominal pain due to the intestinal damage done by the infection. Do not give medicated chick starter with Corid (amprollium.) During this illness the most important issue is that they need to drink the medicated water, and putting some on the feed to moisten it may help them eat. Try giving soft scrambled egg. When Corid is finished they will need probiotics or a bit of plain yogurt, plus a few days of vitamin in the water.

Actually Peter Brown the Chicken Doctor told me that if Amprol is not available, that you can use medicated chick starter temporarily. Not on top of using Corid though. I knew they both were to to treat Cocci but I didn't know they were the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom