Sick chicken

dmwhittle

Hatching
Mar 5, 2022
My hen seems to be sick. I thought maybe she was egg bound so she had her spa bath this afternoon. When I picked her up she felt as if she was light as a feather. Her breast bone was protruding something terrible. I noticed her staying away from my other 3 hens and rooster yesterday afternoon late. She returned to the coop and got on her roost last night.
After her soaking today, I fed her an egg and kept her inside. She’s eating, but her comb is pale. Her poop is very black and tar like.
I gave her some LA300. She doesn’t have anything respiratory going on, nor does she have any visible injuries.
Any ideas? There is not a vet anywhere around that sees chickens. 😔

Cancer can be common in chickens. Crop and reproductive problems also can be common. I would check her crop to see if there is any food in it tonight, and check it again in the morning. How old is she and does she normally lay eggs? Can you get her drinking some fluids, and offer some watery chicken feed or scrambled egg? Check her skin under her vent and elsewhere for lice or mites. Welcome to BYC?

She’s eating scrambled eggs and I called myself looking for mites and or Lice. They would be obvious to the naked eye? I blowed dried her after her bath and looked for any and everything. But saw nothing. She’s been laying eggs. Think she laid yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom