Sick chicks died within hours of corid…poisoned?

Mama_in_the_Dell

Songster
5 Years
Sep 22, 2018
Senoia
So I noticed two sick chicks about a week or two old out with mom today. I grabbed them this evening and brought them inside to their own brooder and fixed them some corid. I made a gallon with 2 tsp corid. Made them drink some and put them under the heat plate. Just checked on them and one has past and the other is barely alive and passing as I type this. I can’t help but think the mixture I made them must be bad or too strong or something to have them pass so fast after treatment. The bottle was previously opened with a small slit in the top. I treated a chick a few months ago with it. Could it have gone bad?

I'm not sure if Corid goes bad. I looked all over their website and several goat and cattle sites and I couldn't find an answer. I'd imagine that it's like most medicines, best if used within a year if opening if relatively climate controlled. They might have been too far gone, I'm sorry

So I noticed two sick chicks about a week or two old out with mom today. I grabbed them this evening and brought them inside to their own brooder and fixed them some corid. I made a gallon with 2 tsp corid. Made them drink some and put them under the heat plate. Just checked on them and one has past and the other is barely alive and passing as I type this. I can’t help but think the mixture I made them must be bad or too strong or something to have them pass so fast after treatment. The bottle was previously opened with a small slit in the top. I treated a chick a few months ago with it. Could it have gone bad?
No. Even if the Corid was out of date, it would still be good for awhile. You did not overdose them. Most likely they were already too weak and too far gone with coccidiosis in order for the Corid to be effective. There couldve been something else going on unknown to you at the time as well, such as an ecoli infection, anything really.

Thanks for replying. I’ve had sick chicks before but never had them die so quickly as I’ve heard others describe but I know it’s possible. They usually show signs for several days and either pull through or eventually get so weak they die. The timing just seemed so off that they would pass so quickly after treatment. They did feel pretty thin so it must have been going on longer than I knew. They were trying so hard to keep up with busy mom running around.

Attachments

• 6645F5A7-E347-4F35-9916-FF23AF60163F.jpeg
    6645F5A7-E347-4F35-9916-FF23AF60163F.jpeg
    579.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom