Sick duck eggbound?

Ducky_

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2024
I have an eight year old Indian runner duck, Daffy, who has been straining to lay an egg. She has laid/pushed put some funny eggs, soft shelled with little eggs inside them. She has been drinking, and I have soaked her is some water, but she still is a bit off, any suggestions?

I have an eight year old Indian runner duck, Daffy, who has been straining to lay an egg. She has laid/pushed put some funny eggs, soft shelled with little eggs inside them. She has been drinking, and I have soaked her is some water, but she still is a bit off, any suggestions?
Some of the eggs that she has played, and a photo of her. She seems to be a bit bloated. I thought it may be her last eggs or something, but she has been dripping egg white from her vent.

Attachments

• 20240219_094324.jpg
    20240219_094324.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240219_094054.jpg
    20240219_094054.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 1
It sounds like she has had an egg break inside, and she may be suffering a reproductive disorder. In chickens we usually recommend giving a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet once a day for several days to see if it helps strengthen the shell and to expel the egg. I will tag @Miss Lydia for more help.

I agree it does sound like she may have a broken egg inside. What we recommend for ducks when they have a problem laying is Calcium gluconate . 1 ml and usually they lay within 12 -24 hrs after. If she has egg left inside this will help her contract and hopefully the rest will be expelled. If she can't expel the remaining egg parts then if at all possible a vet should be seen.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calcium-gluconate-for-egg-bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/ This is info on the Cal glu.

Hello everyone, thank you for your help!
Daffy is much better. I soaked her in some water, which helped her expell the egg. I then gave her some calcium diluted in some water. She was looking better in the morning, but I gave her some Amoxicillin diluted in some water, and now she is back to normal! I think she was just expelling the last few eggs, because she hasn't layed any since. Thank you very much for your help! 🙂🦆

Back
Top Bottom