Sick Duck?

Bob-and-Donna

Chirping
Mar 24, 2022
Hi y'all,

My Silver Appleyard duck has been very inactive for the last day - day and 1/2, molting constantly, and her bill isn't smooth. She is eating her favorite foods but she doesn't look well. She's always been the runt of the 3 females and the others are just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_170743405.jpg
    IMG_20230710_170743405.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230710_170921072.jpg
    IMG_20230710_170921072.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 3
Molting takes alot out of them, Losing feathers and growing them back, mine usually just lay around when in molt. You can help her by offering more protein like Meal worms or dry dog kibble some use cat food. [make sure the size is small so they can swallow] Adding some vitamins to their drinking water Rooster Booster "Poultry Cell "is a good one.
I'm not sure what could be going on with her bill has it always been like this or could she have scratched it going under fencing? She is a pretty girl.

I'm not sure about her bill, to be honest - I probably haven't looked at her that closely. I know she's not laying right now but they all get mealworms regularly but we'll increase that for sure. I truly hope this is just "molting blues" and nothing to be concerned about. We're new to ducks. :)

They don't lay when in molt so no need to worry about that. I hope that is all it is too. We aren't vets but we try to help with our own experiences. The fact that she is eating says a lot, when they are sick they go off their feed pretty quick .

Last edited:
Well, Eileen is not doing much better but not doing any worse. She really does look like she just feels punky - my daughter said it sounds like the first day of her cycle, lol. And I thought that probably isn't too far off. :) She's eating, drinking, quaking (though, very quietly) so I feel more confident she's going to be ok.

Once her feathers are all grown back in she'll be her old self again. Just keep in mind she is eating drinking and quacking even quietly are all good signs. Just give her support like adding more protein their feathers are made up of protein so giving extra when they are molting really helps.

Back
Top Bottom