Sick duckling

catchthewind

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Vancouver Island
Hi there,

About 4 days ago my Muscovy hatched out 6 baby ducks, 3 Khaki Campbells and 3 Cayuga crosses. She was not nesting in our coop, so we made sure to put feed (unmedicated duckling feed with niacin) and water nearby. She ignored it and so did they, and she took them out walking around our property and we could see them chasing bugs and eating grass right from day one. We let them camp out the first night as we didn't want to bother them too much, but starting the second evening we moved her and the babies into the coop into a large dog kennel with feed and water. In the morning we'd let her out. We have a rather large property and she seemed to prefer to take them across our property to another area, so we'd move the water for them over to that side. We didn't bother moving the food as we figured she/they knew where it was and they were pretty intent on chasing and catching bugs and we'd like to encourage them to forage. I never saw her take them back to the coop for feed and she seemed to ignore the water too. We moved her back to the coop every night (or she would have just nested in the tall grass). She seemed to be a really excellent mother and it was fun to watch her herd her babies around. She attacked us if we went near, even though prior to this she was super sweet and friendly with us.

Fast forward to today, I got home and noticed there were only 5 ducklings with her. One of the Khakis was missing, and one of the other Khakis was stumbling along behind and seemed weak. After watching for a bit, I moved her back into the coop with them. I'm wondering if they were not getting enough water or food since she has never brought them to find either? She is a first time mom. I'm not sure what else to think. We found the body of the 6th duckling so we know he wasn't taken by anything. The weak duckling is inside as she didn't seem to want anything to do with him and I found him in the water dish in the kennel, and I'm not sure if he will make it. I added acv to his water and force fed him a tiny bit as well as some egg yolk, and he's sleeping under a heat lamp right now. I'd be surprised if he is still alive in the morning though.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? They were all super healthy and fine yesterday and even this morning. They have food and water in the coop all night long. The water is a large dog dish they can easily get their beaks all the way into, with a rock in the middle to help them get in and out (though watching them, I'm pretty sure they can get in and out on their own without that). Our only thoughts though are that they weren't getting enough food and water during the days when they were out with her. Should I leave them in the coop for the next few days? The problem is she is so protective, it will be very hard to check on them since they'll be locked in the kennel with her. I hate to have them locked up in there too when they seemed to be having such fun foraging and most of the reason we want ducks (besides the fun of watching) is to eat our slugs and grubs. I'm at a loss what I can do to best make sure the four that are left are okay. They seemed fine and healthy tonight when I put them back in the coop, but so did the other two this morning.

Thanks!

It could be nutrition problems. If black flies are out and about they could have an illness carried by the blackflies. I cannot recall the name right now.

Regarding their having a good time, I think it's a good initial approach but if the littles are starving for nutrients, then postpone their forays until they are older, having had some good foundational nutrition.

Mosquitoes can also carry illnesses. Adult ducks are much less susceptible because they are fully feathered, with mature immune systems.

I would get the littles into a brooder and get them starter feed, extra niacin, the whole duckling routine.

Sad for your losses. Hope these ideas help.

Back
Top Bottom