Sick Gosling-Help

farmgirl1019

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2023
I have a week and half old gosling who started to act sick today. He was fine this morning and by the afternoon I noticed he wasn’t greeting me when I walked into the room, he was lethargic and not standing well. He is not eating. I’ve tried mush and he isn’t interested at all. He is drinking- a lot. But he is pooping it all out within 5 minutes and then he goes back to drink. I have given him so nutri-drench and no change. Any suggestions? I’m so sad.

What feed is he on?

What do his droppings look like?

Does he appear to have issues breathing? Opening mouth slightly when breathing, wheezing, labored breathing?

Do you see any infected sores or scabs on his belly?

Has the gosling been exposed directly or indirectly with other birds who’ve had parasites or illnesses previously?

If you’re able I suggest getting a liquid B complex. Nutri drench is all right and it has niacin, but sometimes goslings can become deficient in other b vitamins that nutridrench lacks.

What feed is he on?

What do his droppings look like?

Does he appear to have issues breathing? Opening mouth slightly when breathing, wheezing, labored breathing?

Do you see any infected sores or scabs on his belly?

Has the gosling been exposed directly or indirectly with other birds who’ve had parasites or illnesses previously?

If you’re able I suggest getting a liquid B complex. Nutri drench is all right and it has niacin, but sometimes goslings can become deficient in other b vitamins that nutridrench lacks.
He is on Flock Raiser by Purina.

His dropping are all water. Not eating at all. He will get up and drink, go to the bathroom and then rest. Drinking a lot of water and it pretty much goes through him.

No breathing issues, sores or scabs viable. He hasn’t been exposed to any other birds except his brood mates. They are both healthy, but did come from a hatch five days after him.

Do have a recommended for a b complex?

D
He is on Flock Raiser by Purina.

His dropping are all water. Not eating at all. He will get up and drink, go to the bathroom and then rest. Drinking a lot of water and it pretty much goes through him.

No breathing issues, sores or scabs viable. He hasn’t been exposed to any other birds except his brood mates. They are both healthy, but did come from a hatch five days after him.

Do have a recommended for a b complex?
durvet or aspen pet are good brands that tractor supply caries.

You can also try getting a multi vitamin mix like poultry nutri drench or rooster booster poultry cell on the chance that there’s another kind of deficiency also.

Not eating but excessive drinking is concerning, there could be something digestive maybe going on, or a sickness that’s manifesting in him first.

@Miss Lydia @BirdsBeesTrees @FoodFreedomNow @oldhenlikesdogs @Percheron chick what do you think?

D

durvet or aspen pet are good brands that tractor supply caries.

You can also try getting a multi vitamin mix like poultry nutri drench or rooster booster poultry cell on the chance that there’s another kind of deficiency also.

Not eating but excessive drinking is concerning, there could be something digestive maybe going on, or a sickness that’s manifesting in him first.

@Miss Lydia @BirdsBeesTrees @FoodFreedomNow @oldhenlikesdogs @Percheron chick what do you think?
Thank you! Started him on Nutri drench last night. Any way to help him eat?

Tube feeding is one way to get nutrients into him it can be intimidating with young birds though. I am not saying it can't be done it just means we have to be extremely careful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

Can you explain your brooder set up ,heat source with temps?
Sure and thanks for that! I’ll check it out.
He was in a 100 gallon stock tank, pine shavings(large flakes) and a heat lamp to one side opposite of where food and water are. Temp is 85-90 degrees.
He is nibbling at grass I offer him, but not eating it. I have dipped the grass in some food and he does it because he doesn’t know what it is, and he poops it out eventually. So I think we’ve ruled out a blockage. He is drinking water a lot. Goes right through him. Gave him another dose of nutri drench this morning.

Could I try a pea mash?

Tube feeding is one way to get nutrients into him it can be intimidating with young birds though. I am not saying it can't be done it just means we have to be extremely careful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

Can you explain your brooder set up ,heat source with temps?
Sure and thanks for that! I’ll check it out.
He was in a 100 gallon stock tank, pine shavings(large flakes) and a heat lamp to one side opposite of where food and water are. Temp is 85-90 degrees.
He is nibbling at grass I offer him, but not eating it. I have dipped the grass in some food and he does it because he doesn’t know what it is, and he poops it out eventually. So I think we’ve ruled out a blockage. He is drinking water a lot. Goes right through him. Gave him another dose of nutri drench this morning.

Could I try a pea mash?

Back
Top Bottom