Sick hen, out of ideas

CoolClucker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Indiana USA
I have an Astralorp hen, she's nearly 2 years old and about 6 lbs. I noticed about a week ago (Monday to be exact) that she didn't come out with the other girls, and when I went to look for her she was in her nest box. She was weak, couldn't stand or walk, her comb was flopped over and she was very lethargic. I did the usual beak to tail check, to see if she's egg bound, etc. and nothing. No discharge from eyes or mouth, no puffiness of her face. No coughing or sneezing. No discharge from her cloaca, but it did look like she had some runny yellow poo residue on her hind feathers. No worms in anyone's poo, no other hens (13 total) showing any symptoms of distress or illness. No change in food. No change in water, litter, environment. I use deep litter method, have for a decade. No bleeding, no injury or signs of trauma. No fleas or mites. No idea at all what could be wrong. I gave her nutridrench and checked on her in the morning. Same as before. Empty crop so I know she wasn't eating/drinking. Gave her more nutridrench and decided to be cautious and gave her some Corid too. Since then I go out in the morning, give her nutridrench, water and Corid. She won't drink on her own but if I gently dip her beak she'll swallow it. I cleaned up her feathers on her butt and sprayed some blue kote for good measure. She refuses all food including hard boiled egg. I noticed after she was sick a couple days she started smelling bad. Not from anything particular like she wasn't covered in poo, and it wasn't from her mouth. Just a general stinky smell. Hard to describe but bad. Today is day 6 and she is far less smelly but very little else has changed. All the girls have a large enclosed run that they're in 24/7, and their roomy coop. When I give her meds and water I let her sit in the grass behind the coop in the shade. She will stand and take a few baby steps, then sit down again and close her eyes like she's falling asleep. She also seems 'out of it'. Like I try to give her water and she just looks off but if I tap her gently she blinks and kinda snaps out of it and looks at me alert a minute then zones out again. She either feels very dumpy or she's mentally not all there? Feels weird typing that but not sure how else to describe it. Corid seems to not be doing much if anything for her, and I've had to force feed her the last couple days. I give her a chance to eat and when she won't I feed her. I put her pellets in water until it's mush, then smash it up and stir it until it's like cream of wheat. I give her tiny bits at a time. It's warm here, mid 80s-90s , but their coop/run is totally covered by 30 ft trees and they get fresh water every morning. I'm out of ideas and totally lost. Sadly, I expected her to pass by now, but she's still with us. She's not better, she's not worse. I don't know what this is or what to do. Any ideas appreciated.

Been giving her undiluted Corid 0.4ml once daily, 2ml of nutridrench daily, as much water as she'll drink and small amounts of food as described am/pm.

I'm sorry, seems like you are doing what you can. I hope someone with more experience will answer you soon...

When did she last lay an egg?

She might have had a shell-less egg break in her oviduct and now be suffering from a serious infection.

Does her abdomen look and feel bloated?

Back
Top Bottom