Sick Hen

gershen

Hatching
Oct 30, 2023

sick hen​

Hello,
One of my hens has been wheezing and squeaking for a month, but no sneezing or runny nose. She has become very skittish and looks like she is in molt. Two vets looked at her and gave me both a powdered antibiotic and a liquid vermifuge. They were not clear themselves on how to mix it or give it.

I tried the antibiotic first and she seemed to be a little better but got worse when the course was over after 5 days. Then I put the vermifuge in the coop water. That hasn't helped.

I tried to isolate her but she panicked and actually pushed open a heavy door to rejoin the coop. She is very hard to catch and I feel the stress will kill her. As per instructions, I haven't eaten any coop eggs for a month.

Should I restart antibiotic? Can I use the dropper without drowning her? How much should I give her. My scale won't weigh less than 5gm.. which means I have to dissolve it in water and give her a small portion. Is there any sure fire food I can bury the drug in? Can I measure by volume instead of weight?

Lost and need help.

Welcome to BYC. What are the 2 medicines, the antibiotic and the wormer? What dosage did you give? Do you see any bubbles or foam in either eye? For skittish chickens, I usually take them off their perch or roost in the dark before daylight or after dark at night. Respiratory diseases can be from virus, bacteria, or from mold fungus. Only bacterial disease will respond to the proper antibiotic.

Welcome to BYC. What are the 2 medicines, the antibiotic and the wormer? What dosage did you give? Do you see any bubbles or foam in either eye? For skittish chickens, I usually take them off their perch or roost in the dark before daylight or after dark at night. Respiratory diseases can be from virus, bacteria, or from mold fungus. Only bacterial disease will respond to the proper antibiotic.
biamanthic 5% and amoxicillin. No bubbles or foam. Eats but staying away from other hens.

Back
Top Bottom