Sick/Injured chick. Need advice please.

Aphrael

Songster
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Texas
Last night when I went to bed I had 36 healthy chicks. This morning when I got up one seems sick or injured. She seems unable to operate her legs normally. They seem to want to stick out straight behind her and her toes do not react or grip when I put my finger into them. She also keeps stretching her neck out and gaping her beak for a second every couple minutes or so. She can propel herself around the brooder but not very well. It's hard to describe, she goes at a kind of run with her legs sort of just pushing or flopping. I checked her crop and it is flat and empty. I have looked her over everywhere and can't see any visible injuries. Does this sound like anything anyone is familiar with? Should I separate her from the others in case she is sick or would it be too late since they have all been together from the start?

In the brooder I have 20 3 week old feather leg bantams, 7 2 week old feather leg bantams and 9 2 week old packing peanuts (I think they are RIR but not sure). The sick/injured one is one of the 3 week old feather leg bantams and one of the larger ones in there.

Oh wanted to add that the only thing that was different yesterday was their snack. They have been getting soft scrambled egg every other day, yesterday I did a soft boiled egg chopped up fine instead. Also we had a freak blizzard yesterday (not a common occurrence in Texas) so it is really cold. They are going and warming under the light more frequently than usual but not all packing under in a giant feather pile.

Has anyone seen these kind of symptoms before? It seems like it might be neurological. This chick was one that was ALWAYS picking fights and acting like it was trying to jump up and spur the others. Is it possible it could have gotten its spine or head injured in a tussle? I never heard a ruckus, but ...

Back
Top Bottom