Sick Little Red Hen

hippiehen

wastefully exuberant
11 Years
Aug 27, 2008
Utopia, Texas
Yesterday I noticed my 16 week old RIR hen acting funny - I'm afraid she is sick but I'm not sure how to diagnose her.

When I let them out of the coop yesterday morning she ran straight behind a tree and hid. I thought maybe she was going to lay her first egg (yay!) so I left her alone. I went back around lunchtime to check on her and she was still there. My dog stuck his nose in on her and spooked her and she ran to another spot and hid again. On her way, she pooped and it was greenish with white and a little runny - no worms I checked for that. I picked her up and checked her out - no labored breathing, no raspy voice, her eyes are bright and clear and I couldn't feel any lumps anywhere. Her feet felt hot though, like she had a fever. I gave them a round of vitamins in their water yesterday but as far as I can tell she never ate or drank anything.

Any clues? I have isolated her from the rest and cleaned and bleached the coop and feeders/waterers. Just in case.

I would think she's just getting ready to start laying. As far as wanting to be away from the flock and in a hidey spot, that would be typical for that. Maybe her feet are very warm because she is laying on them while trying to get that egg out. I would be careful picking her up and handling her so as not to break the egg inside, the egg might be easily broken if the shell is thin since it's a first egg.

I'm not sure I really hear anything to worry about here. Chickens act all kinds of funny ways, and sometimes it's good, like with kids, not to look too closely at every detail.

Poop can look like just about anything, and you say she's bright eed and showing no trouble walking or running. Hiding one place or another could be a laying behavior, as someone said, or it could just be funky, unknown chicken-ness.

Unless something drastic is going on, might be nie to just be amused by their weirdness.

best.

The white your seeing in the poo is just the urine that comes out with the poo. Sounds like your hen is confused on the feelings and maybe is going to lay an egg soon
big_smile.png
Good luck!

Well that's what I was hopeful for, but I looked at her vent when I picked her up and it was small and puckered - not a productive sign, I thought?

She may have several days to go, but all those teenage hormones start flowing before any eggs show. Mine acted all kooky for about two weeks before they started. It's good that you are keeping such a close eye on your girl, though!

Keep us posted!

Well, she died.
hmm.png
I'm fairly certain she ate some nightshade - This Tuesday was the first day I let them out to pasture from their yard and it was wednesday when she started acting funny.

Back
Top Bottom