Sick Mille Fleur Duccle

Scoutnerd2717

Hatching
Aug 28, 2023
Hi, I am a new chicken owner and I am seeking help on what to do with my sick chicken. She is a 5 month old Mille Fleur Duccle. She and her brother and sisters were never vaccinated by original owner. She has always been the most friendly in our flock of 4 silkies and 3 other duccles. One day I noticed her secluding herself from the flock. Upon closer examination she was not eating, drinking, or pooping. I immediately brought her inside and started monitoring her. She had a pulsating tail and vent. Breathing somewhat heavy. Pale comb. Puffed out and VERY lethargic. I went on and did some research and I originally thought she was eggbound, but she is only 5 months old. I gave her an Epsom salt bath, offered her food, and then syringe fed her water with electrolytes and vetrx in it. After that she started scratching at some food(henhouse reserve egg layer) She then started pooping, sometimes watery and clear/white and sometimes more formed green/white. Her vent has stopped pulsating, and she is a little bit more perked up. She seems to get more energetic when I give her water. I don't know what else I should be doing. This little girl means a lot to me as we have gotten very close. Please give me some of your insight 🙏

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her and her poop?
How long have you been feeding layer feed?
Where are you located in the world?

Look her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying overnight.
Work on hydration and get her eating well.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her and her poop?
How long have you been feeding layer feed?
Where are you located in the world?

Look her over for lice/mites, see that her crop is emptying overnight.
Work on hydration and get her eating well.
Yes. She has been eating the layer feed for about 2 months now. After we weaned them off of baby crumbles. We are located in Ohio. She does not have any bugs. I will attach some pics

Yes. She has been eating the layer feed for about 2 months now. After we weaned them off of baby crumbles. We are located in Ohio. She does not have any bugs. I will attach some pics

Attachments

• 20230829_082146.jpg
    20230829_082146.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230827_120827.jpg
    20230827_120827.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 9
Poor thing! She's not feeling well is she :(

Is her crop emptying overnight?

I'd work on getting her hydrated, if you have electrolytes those would be good or you can give her a little sugar water to see if that perks her up.

Do you have a vet that can run a fecal float on a sample of her poop to see if worms or Coccidiosis are part of the problem?

Back
Top Bottom