Sick week old chick, gaping, empty crop, sneezing (? Sounds like a squeek)

Yabadabadoo

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hi there. I have a week old chick I purchased from a reputable hatchery (along with 16 friends). For the first time my chicks didn’t fare well in shipping and I lost three in the first 72 hours. Last night this chick seemed lower energy (see video:
) and this afternoon/evening she is gaping and sneezing(?) regularly and often (it sounds like a squeek). She doesnt seem interested in food and her crop is pretty empty (whereas the rest of the flock are eating nonstop). I have raised chicks several times before but never dealt with this (respiratory infection?) and appreciate any advice.

Photos of my setup below. One end of the brooder is 90, one is 77, with brinsea heating places and a reptile pad. Littler is pine pellets that was offgassed before chicks were added. Chicks are eating chick starter and have both electrolytes and plain water available.

Poop seems normal although we have had issues with pasty butt this time also (only minimal in the past). It also took am extra day for chicks to get to us (typically one night but this time two).

Thank you in advance.
Ok

Attachments

• 962F2E6E-01D2-4C3A-A5B9-56998FA2FF98.jpeg
    962F2E6E-01D2-4C3A-A5B9-56998FA2FF98.jpeg
    749.6 KB · Views: 12
It may be shipping stress, and I would encourage them to drink fluids and electrolytes for a few days, and show them where their food is. Check the beak and nostrils for any stuck bedding or food. Monitor the temps on the floor so they don’t get too hot. Check every day for pasty butt, keep it cleaned off, and put a small dab of vaseline on the vent to keep it from sticking. I tend to order chicks from the nearest hatchery so they won’t be in shipping too long. In the best cases, though, this can happen.

Back
Top Bottom