Sierra Chicken Palace

I think you will be fine. The coop look perfect!
I don’t know how I would react seeing a bear. I had a encounter at night when camping. Never again will I go camping! lol

Just a quick update here to say that the coop is 90% complete and has some very happy tenants! Left to complete are trimming up the roof panels and building the nesting box which will be mounted on the front side of the coop, and replacement of a temporary roosting bar.

View attachment 2377704

I designed and built this coop to protect against the typical and most obvious predators in the area, or so I thought... Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately as I was finishing up on the no-dig barrier (hw cloth and rock) a black bear past me (30 ft) at full gallop from one end of the property to the other and away. This was a pretty cool experience except for the fact that it meant I wasn't done and would have to spend another week and ~$400 more building an electric fence to keep the bears out.

View attachment 2377699

I also learned from a neighbor on the other side of the canyon with chickens that she has a couple mountain lions, bears, coyotes and bobcats that frequent her property. 😟 She houses her girls in a chain link enclosure with an electric wire perimeter. Hopefully my 7 wire 2.1 joule fencing will be a deterrent for at least the bear and coyotes. If a mountain lion wants in I'm not sure there's much I can do except add/replace the HW cloth with chainlink which I don't want to do.

I'll post more pics later this week and share some more of the details on the build.

BokBokBok!
I see two adorable Polish Pullets in there! Make sure you enter the Polish Chicken photo contest with those cuties.

Here’s a good picture of the gang a couple weeks ago before the elec fence for the main coop was ready. Only one missing is Sunshine the Jubilee Orpington so I added her below as well.
FEF86E8D-61C6-4F13-B86F-095003A32687.jpeg

84207BC9-A27E-48A1-897E-8A3DB38CC02A.jpeg

That is a gorgeous coop! It looks really nice. All the pictures have been great. The grey vixen with the kit was absolutely precious.

Thanks, it was a labor of love, for the chickens of course. The vixen had me worried but she and her cub have moved on although I have seen one of them passing through occasionally. They seem to ignore the coop but that’s probably because of the electric fencing.

Back
Top Bottom