Silkie cant walk anymore

Puk Gooble

Hatching
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago our Silkie cockerel (about 1 year old) was dropped when he was being carried. He landed in a bad way and picked up a limp. We took him to the vet who couldnt really find anything wrong with him, apart from his knee was a bit warm.

His condition has deteriorated now and he cant walk at all. He just lies there on his side with his legs sprawled out. I cant feel any breaks or see any injuries in his legs, but his left leg seems pretty limp, he cant seem to move it.

He has been eating and drinking fine, we have to leave his food water right next to him so he can reach it.

Someone mentioned using lollypop sticks to make a splint for him, but I cant find any information about how to do this on the internet.

Im worried that if he doesnt get better soon, we are going to have to put him down which I really dont want to do.

Many thanks

I suspect a hip displacement (google luxation and avian for info).... I know of no laymen treatment to deal with this as I have no experience with it and truth be told from what limited info I have found on the net , you must position it correctly even when pins and such are not needed and how would you do this if you do not know exactly where the problem is? You would need radiographs to determine where the damage is exactly and this can only be done at an avian vets. Sever bruising will often lead to a staph infection which might also be complicating matters. :aww Outside of immobilization of the joint or hip which appears to be casuing the problem I think you would need to consult a vet.

Back
Top Bottom