Silkie cold and putting head under wing

Katieclucker

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2023
My 5 month old silkie did not join her flock this morning. I checked her and she felt a little cold so I put her in a sunny spot. She's now got her head under her wing. Is it normal for hens to put their head under a wing during the daytime?
It suddenly got cold last night and the young roosters have been hassling her even though she's not ovulating yet... I've put her in a warm and safe place where she can rest with water and food beside her. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

My 5 month old silkie did not join her flock this morning. I checked her and she felt a little cold so I put her in a sunny spot. She's now got her head under her wing. Is it normal for hens to put their head under a wing during the daytime?
It suddenly got cold last night and the young roosters have been hassling her even though she's not ovulating yet... I've put her in a warm and safe place where she can rest with water and food beside her. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?
First, separate the males from the pullets until they all lay eggs. Hormonal cockerels will pester and rape young pullets leaving them injured and often starved.

How many males and females do you have? What age?

Is she able to see well or is she suffering from impaired vision due to overgrown crest?

Inspect her and the coop closely for lice and poultry mites.

When did you last deworm your flock? How does her poop look?

Oh, and welcome to the BYC community! :frow

First, separate the males from the pullets until they all lay eggs. Hormonal cockerels will pester and rape young pullets leaving them injured and often starved.

How many males and females do you have? What age?

Is she able to see well or is she suffering from impaired vision due to overgrown crest?

Inspect her and the coop closely for lice and poultry mites.

When did you last deworm your flock? How does her poop look?

Oh, and welcome to the BYC community! :frow
Thank you for the advice. I will do that.

I hope that she will recover soon!
Thank you. Her poop is pretty normal. A bit on the soft side but no evidence of parasites. We've taken your advice and separated the adolescent roosters from the girls. That's been no trouble as they are free ranging side by side during the day.
Minnie brings her head out now a lot of the time. I gave her a trim to enable her to see better. She's still weak, but has eaten and drank a little today. I'm keeping her inside and away from all stress. We'll see what tomorrow brings. 🤞🤞🤞
Thank you for your support.

Back
Top Bottom