Silkie hen w/ strange behavior

Silkiesandco

Songster
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Canada eh?
Hello, my silkie hen is acting strange. She sits in her nesting box all day. Which is strange for her since she is usually active. She makes weird noises, like a broody hen or in pain. When you take her out of the nesting box she eats a few bits of chicken feed then goes straight back into her box. She used to lay eggs but she hasn't since she was in her box. I felt for an egg bound egg but I couldn't feel one. Also another strange thing is that once I took her out and suddenly she pooped a poop about the size of her head, not kidding. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my hen? She has been in the nesting box acting weird for about a week.
Thanks

Congratulation! You have a broody silkie!
smile.png

She's screaming at you when you mess with her. She's dropping the broody bomb poop. She's not laying. Yup. She's broody.
Toss some eggs under her and let her have at it. If you don't she'll just keep screaming at you.
smile.png

Shoot not another broody girl XD my others are bad enough and basicly kill eachother. Ahh well, rather a broody hen then a sick hen!
big_smile.png
I will stick some eggs under her! Maybe I can get some babies! Thanks for the advice

You are welcome. Silkies are determined little broodies. I have four of them sitting out there right now. They seem to lay approximately 6 eggs and then they go broody again. Brats!
smile.png

Do you guys let your Silkies free range? I have 6, that I just love to bits and would love to give them some freedom. I have 20 other chickens that are free ranging but we're also pretty rural in the Chesapeake, va area and I worry about predators. Haven't had any problems as yet, we have two dogs, 3 cats and 2 kids running around the yard, so maybe that's why? I also have four nite gaurds, one on each side of the coop, which I swear, keeps predators away. We do have hawks flying around here which is the reason so far that I haven't let my Silkies out.
Many thanks

I let my hatchery silkies out, but my show line seldoms gets to range. Unless I have trimmed the show line up they really can't see anything. I let them out occasionally when I am right there to supervise. They never really wander very far from the coop. The hatchery girls aren't as fluffy and they seem to do okay. They also seem smarter than the show line.
big_smile.png

I do free range! We have horses, cats and a fiesty little dog and so far no deaths *knock on wood*. I have 3 broodies. One of them is a horrible mother though, yet gets jealous when the other hen is having fun with her babies. They fight and fight like crazy. Silly girls

Back
Top Bottom