Silkie roo and Serama pullets.

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
We have a silkie cockerel with 2 Serama pullets who have been laying for a few weeks now. We have 10 full sized hens/pullets and 1 silkie pullet for him to mate. He has so far shown no interest in courting the Seramas though they are definitely part of his flock and he takes care of them just the same. Does he seem to understand he is too big? He is very gentle with all his girls and won't mate unless invited. Just wondering if I've lucked out or still need to be worrying about keeping the whole flock together. We just added a dutch and a d'anver (?) bantam but they are not close to laying yet. He has already accepted them though. He's really a sweetheart 💜

Wow my my! what a gentlemen Silkie you have there! golly gosh, my word.

poo.png

We have a silkie cockerel with 2 Serama pullets who have been laying for a few weeks now.
Check the eggs and see if you see the bull's eye. You can see if they are mating or not.

Fertile Egg Photos

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

Does he seem to understand he is too big?
Many Silkies are bantam, I'm not sure how big he really is. When chickens mate the hen squats. This gets her body on the ground so the rooster's weight passes through her body into the ground instead of going though her legs. It's nature's way of allowing a larger rooster to mate a smaller hen. Many people keep bantam hens in a flock with a full sized rooster without problems but the more size difference the more likely you are to have problems. Seramas are tiny, I don't know how much you really need to worry. If you don't want fertile eggs and you can do it there is nothing wrong with having two separate flocks. You are supposed to enjoy your chickens not worry about them.

Are you sure he hasn't? If he is that polite have the girls invited him?
In the morning and evenings, when he seems to be a bit more frisky, I've yet to see him dance for the Serama pullets. A couple full sized pullets and even an older hen or two have submitted. If they don't submit I've personally not seen him grab or jump on uninvited. Does not mean he hasn't though.
Wow my my! what a gentlemen Silkie you have there! golly gosh, my word.

View attachment 2937212
🤞🤞 One can hope! But one can also be ignorant. I would prefer the former but inquiring since there's a good chance I'm the latter. Hahahaha

Check the eggs and see if you see the bull's eye. You can see if they are mating or not.

Fertile Egg Photos

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

Many Silkies are bantam, I'm not sure how big he really is. When chickens mate the hen squats. This gets her body on the ground so the rooster's weight passes through her body into the ground instead of going though her legs. It's nature's way of allowing a larger rooster to mate a smaller hen. Many people keep bantam hens in a flock with a full sized rooster without problems but the more size difference the more likely you are to have problems. Seramas are tiny, I don't know how much you really need to worry. If you don't want fertile eggs and you can do it there is nothing wrong with having two separate flocks. You are supposed to enjoy your chickens not worry about them.
We have had some larger eggs fertilized but not a Serama egg, as of yet. He is super light in weight but my only comparison is the fill sized hens I've had thus far. I feed him a scrambled egg at night when I bring him in because I worry he is not getting enough with having so many girls to care for.

Roosters fascinate me! I love to just watch him tidbit and care for "his" flock. I am extremely fascinated by the dynamics considering the size range from Brahmas to Seramas. I watch closely to be sure they are all safe from bullying.

Since I've not seen him dance for Seramas while courting all the others I became inquisitive if a rooster could actually process the size difference, be satisfied with the 12 full sized girls and 1 Silkie he does have to mate therefore leaving the smaller ones alone.

Thank you for the link to fertilized eggs, it will be helpful for sure!

Back
Top Bottom