Silkie roo in puberty

Sydneyj

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2019
I have a 6 month old silkie roo that is the sweetest guy, however, now that he’s hit puberty he’s been kind of a brat. I have two older hens about 5 years old that have never been around a roo and when he was younger he was on the bottom of the pecking order but now he’s trying to be on top. My older ladies are scared to come out of the coop now and everytime they try he chases them back in. He was raised with another silkie hen that he absolutely loves but he’s definitely being more aggressive to my older girls..anything I can do to help? I know they can be like this around this age but how long until he chills?

I have a 6 month old silkie roo that is the sweetest guy, however, now that he’s hit puberty he’s been kind of a brat. I have two older hens about 5 years old that have never been around a roo and when he was younger he was on the bottom of the pecking order but now he’s trying to be on top. My older ladies are scared to come out of the coop now and everytime they try he chases them back in. He was raised with another silkie hen that he absolutely loves but he’s definitely being more aggressive to my older girls..anything I can do to help? I know they can be like this around this age but how long until he chills?
We've had to lock our juvenile roosters up for a few weeks at a time. Doing it for a day didn't work at all. It's hard to say, but my guess is it could be another month or even two.

Depends on personality, I had one that didn’t chill until 1-yr old, then another I had was showing good signs of maturity at 8mos.

— I have a 6mo old Silkie cockerel as well. He’s definitely quite feisty with the 3 older girls that we have, especially first thing in the morning. This is when their testosterone is surging, as well as in the evenings.

— When it got to the point of causing an issue. Like when, our Miss Pippa was staying in the Coop and not wanting to come out in the mornings. I started putting him in his own separate pen/area very first thing in the morning, so he’d be away from all the girls for about 1hr or an hour, 30min. He comes out from that a whole lot calmer. I mean, it’s like night and day.
— He’s come to expect this time alone in the morning where I hold him for awhile and then I always have a little bit of a treat in his breakfast bowl inside the pen. I think he’s starting to enjoy having his own breakfast with some peace n quiet without everyone around!
LOL!😉

We've had to lock our juvenile roosters up for a few weeks at a time. Doing it for a day didn't work at all. It's hard to say, but my guess is it could be another month or even two.
We’ve been getting by with just a morning Personal Pen time with our young cockerel. He’s a little Silkie and underneath it all, he still wants to be a good guy. But those Mornings, with the testosterone surges?!?! Poor guy!!

After an hour or so alone, he calms down real good, then we can let him out with all the girls again.

Back
Top Bottom