Silkie/Satin Comb

sapphiresilkie7

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Hey everyone! I’m new to silkies and had a question about combs. I got some chicks back in March so they’re about 6 weeks old now. Some ended up being silkies and some are satins. I have two (one silkie, one satin) and their combs just look pretty different from the rest. Is this due to being mixed? Just wanted to check if it was normal. I’ll add some pics.

Attachments

• 2085BC7B-20C6-4FC7-A7C5-CD036E56A1F6.jpeg
    2085BC7B-20C6-4FC7-A7C5-CD036E56A1F6.jpeg
    569 KB · Views: 54
  • 0988A513-1198-4E76-9E74-30A89DBF1EF1.jpeg
    0988A513-1198-4E76-9E74-30A89DBF1EF1.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 27
His comb looks like that since he’s mixed. His comb is big and red since he’s a boy.

I don’t know which Silkie you’re talking about.

Hey everyone! I’m new to silkies and had a question about combs. I got some chicks back in March so they’re about 6 weeks old now. Some ended up being silkies and some are satins. I have two (one silkie, one satin) and their combs just look pretty different from the rest. Is this due to being mixed? Just wanted to check if it was normal. I’ll add some pics.
These chicks look mottled. With many newer colors of Silkies, other breeds were used to introduce the color. Because of this many of them have pinker combs and not the mulberry color that is the breed standard. Other examples are paint and cuckoo coloring that can often have lighter combs.
A true satin is at least 90% Silkie, and should have all the features of a Silkie, including the mulberry comb, except for the silkied feathers. Usually achieved at around the fifth or sixth generation of crossing back to Silkies.
Yours just need a few more generations it looks like. Gorgeous birds though, please update as they feather in.😊

These chicks look mottled. With many newer colors of Silkies, other breeds were used to introduce the color. Because of this many of them have pinker combs and not the mulberry color that is the breed standard. Other examples are paint and cuckoo coloring that can often have lighter combs.
A true satin is at least 90% Silkie, and should have all the features of a Silkie, including the mulberry comb, except for the silkied feathers. Usually achieved at around the fifth or sixth generation of crossing back to Silkies.
Yours just need a few more generations it looks like. Gorgeous birds though, please update as they feather in.😊
Thanks for replying! Looks like I have a good mix of genes lol

Back
Top Bottom