Silkied Cochin supposed to be frizzled???

robbdebbie

Professional Chicken Bather
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Madisonville, LA
I ordered 8 red frizzled cochins. I understood that some wouldn't be frizzled but smooth. I had 5 frizzled, 2 smooth/regular feathered, and one silkied??? Here is a pic. Is this normal?

34635_silkiecochin.jpg

Quote:
Then it's not a direct cross or an F1 generation cross. If it is a cross, then it would most likely have 5 toes, black skin, and a partial crest. Silkie feathering is recessive so it would not show up in the F1 generation.

Last edited:
Almost all my "gold" based crosses have had straight or "wonky" combs and light skin. Most have 5 toes. All my blue based crosses have had the black skin, correct comb (not all though), they have mostly had some kind of mohawk. Hmm that one could be a F2. I'm no expert - just going by the chicks I've hatched here.

Quote:
Did you order from a hatchery or a breeder? If from a hatchery, then I am thinking the silkie is your "rare" bonus chick. Hatchery silkies often have DQs such as light skin or incorrect comb. You seem to hav lucked out and gotten one with both
roll.png
Want to try for three in a row and count toes?

What's strange to me about the silkie feathered cochin is it looks to have decent cochin type, single comb, yellow feet and yellow beak. I'm definitely not up on silkie/cochin crosses but I would think traits from the silkie would show up besides the feathering....interesting. Cute bird!

Shari

One thing that I have noticed is that most of the silkie feathered cochins are red. I have a friend who has gotten red cochin chicks from a feed store in the area and every year he has gotten atleast 1 silkie feathered cochin. When they mature they end up looking just like a cochin but with the silkie feathers. Altogether he has gotten 4 and only 1 has been a pullet, the others were cockerels which until this year when he got the pullet I was thinking it might have been a sexlinked thing.

It isn't my free rare chick. It is one of my red frizzled cochins that I ordered. My free rare chick is a buff silkie. Well, he/she is cute either way. I just didn't know what was up with it. Must happen a lot with this line of red cochins if others are getting them too.

Back
Top Bottom