Silkies with diarrhea, sneezing more than usual, and potentially decreased egg laying

HighlandCoop

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2023
Hello! I have 9 laying hens (between 6 mo to over a year) and 4 baby chicks, all silkies. I noticed two of the silkies starting to have constantly “poopy” butts, and have seen a couple pass very watery stools. One seems to be drinking a lot more than usual, and she is having clear watery poop. I’m also noticing a couple of others sneezing more than usual.

I’m not sure how much of this could be due to the extremely volatile weather we’ve been having in TN lately (from 20s to 70s/80s in a couple of days, cycling through a few times now) and potential allergens in the air. I’ve read silkies can be really sensitive to drastic weather changes, like a lot of chickens.

I’ve also rotated a couple of brands of feed, and currently have them eating a mixture of “all flock crumbles” and starter crumbles (non-medicated) because 3 of the hens feed the baby chicken from the normal feeder, so I wanted to make sure the chicks were getting the right nutrients. I read somewhere that crumbles that break down could become dusty and cause sneezing? Is that real?

Could the diarrhea be due to higher protein feed?

I don’t see much discharge from their nostrils or notice facial swelling, but most are bearded silkies so it’s hard to tell on their faces.

Right now I’ve just started adding Recovery 911 to their water while I try to diagnose the problem. Any ideas of what could be going on would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 21
has it been getting cold there? Is their poop blocking or building up on their behind?
Yes, it’s been getting into the 30s some nights but then today it hit almost 80 during the day and will only get to 57 tonight. It’s been very chaotic day to day.

Yes, the poop is getting stuck there so I’ve been cutting off some feathers to remove it, and planning to bring a couple in for a bath to soak more off.

I forgot to mention I have one rooster as well who is definitely pretty busy mating with about 5 of them.

Have you ever wormed them?
Yes, we gave them dewormer maybe 3 months ago. I’m not sure of the exact dosage since it was technically a goat dewormer, so I added to water and then syringed a couple cc to one chicken who didn’t seem to be doing well (different Sx than this) and she bounced back!

Perhaps they’ve gotten a new kind of worm in the past few months? Or I didn’t give them enough?

Yes, we gave them dewormer maybe 3 months ago. I’m not sure of the exact dosage since it was technically a goat dewormer, so I added to water and then syringed a couple cc to one chicken who didn’t seem to be doing well (different Sx than this) and she bounced back!

Perhaps they’ve gotten a new kind of worm in the past few months? Or I didn’t give them enough?
Wormers have to be given orally, typically not in water. It's possible there wasn't enough.

I just ordered a natural dewormer online that won’t have egg withdrawal.
Cancel your order and save your money, they don't work.

Back
Top Bottom