Silver pheasant keeper aggresion

AOrchard

Songster
May 27, 2020
Wisconsin
My 2 year old male silver pheasant is posturing at me and making the threat noise when I enter the pen. He came at my once when I wore red, which I have not done since, but his posture towards me is increasingly aggressive. Though he still eats out of my hand when I refill the food trough.

Is aggression seasonal, meaning it will fade in a few months and be calmer until next spring again? Can it be discouraged if it's not? Am I better off culling him and attempting to find a male that doesn't have this behavior?

Google was useless.

This is my first silver pheasant male. I have experience with melanistic mutants, chickens, and quail. The melanistic mutants were never aggressive to me, the chickens occasionally are but they get eaten as a "bad apple".

Attachments

• 20220314_185147.jpg
    20220314_185147.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 37
All the Silvers I ever raised were aggressive, too! Just keep looking for one that isn't or try raising some from chicks and handle them multiple times a day....it might work? I sold mine because they were way too aggressive, the male, especially during breeding season.

All the Silvers I ever raised were aggressive, too! Just keep looking for one that isn't or try raising some from chicks and handle them multiple times a day....it might work? I sold mine because they were way too aggressive, the male, especially during breeding season.
Hmm interesting. Have you had better luck with other species? I love how chatty, friendly, and beautiful he was up until this spring. He'd been a delight to have on the farm. Will definitely be wanting to try another type of pheasant to replace him.

Silver males turn into raging monsters during the breeding season. They'll do more than just posture as their hormone's go up. A friend of mine know's a guy who lost an eye to a silver.

I've always heard the silvers and the tufted (eared) pheasants are all pretty aggressive in the breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom