Single Chick

ace86

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2023
Hi all, new to the community. I have two 4-month old pullets (SLW and Barred Rock). My roommate and I decided we wanted two more and picked up two 1-week old Easter Egger chicks at our local farm feed supply store. The employee sold the pair at a price of one since he believed that the weaker of the two wouldn’t make it. We attempted to rehabilitate the weaker chick, but were unfortunately unsuccessful. :( I know that chicks are social animals and are happier in groups, but I think the premature death of this chick has left my roommate stressed about getting a replacement or is just being picky about the next breed he would want. Ideally I would rather have a second chick ASAP because there’s only so much we can do to entertain her and it hurts me to see her lonely. However, it’s ultimately my roommates decision since he is the homeowner and eventual sole caretaker of our flock when I eventually move out (TBD). For now he’s leaning on raising her alone. I’m worried that once she’s old enough to introduce her to our older girls, she will be rejected since she’d have only interacted with humans until then.

That being said, does anyone have any success stories on raising a single chick on its own up until adulthood and/or eventually adding to an older flock? I would love to hear about it.

Attachments

• IMG_4090.jpeg
    IMG_4090.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I think your worries are legitimate. A mirror will help a little.
But what about having this chick grow up where she can see the pullets/and vice versa, at least part of the time. Then when they are allowed in together, they’ll already know each other.

I think your worries are legitimate. A mirror will help a little.
But what about having this chick grow up where she can see the pullets/and vice versa, at least part of the time. Then when they are allowed in together, they’ll already know each other.
That’s a great idea! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom